|By Marketwired .||
|November 5, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/05/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Today, Oracle announced the results of its "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" research, examining the evolving drivers behind 'Machine to Machine' (M2M) projects and how those changes are impacting solution requirements.
- The research, which was produced by M2M analyst experts Beecham Research on behalf of Oracle, provides a qualitative assessment of solution requirements across the M2M value chain. Participants included end-users, major product OEMs, systems integrators, mobile network operators and M2M platform providers in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
- The research found that M2M data from remotely located assets and devices in the field is increasingly being used more broadly for strategic purposes and value creation throughout the enterprise. It has also become a means for creating new market opportunities while providing a competitive advantage for enterprise users in their own key markets.
- Other key findings included an increased focus on leveraging the cloud and managing data security in M2M initiatives, as more information is integrated and shared across departments and business functions.
- To access the full report, please visit here.
M2M Data Becoming Increasingly Critical Across the Enterprise
- The research found that the main drivers behind M2M projects are evolving, with 75 percent of participants noting that enabling new services and revenue streams is fuelling M2M projects.
- While leveraging M2M data in operations is still key, the research found a growing interest among adopters in using M2M data for strategic decision making, providing feedback on product and services performance in the field, and tailoring products and services to meet specific customer needs.
- 85 percent of users said an increased focus on better managing large volumes of M2M generated data is necessary to address performance and costs issues, especially as applications, such as smart meters and automotive telematics/automotive diagnostics systems, are generating increased volumes of data.
- The use of Complex Event Processing (CEP) with M2M data will also provide users with the real-time intelligence they need to take immediate action on pre-determined factors. 65 percent of respondents saw high value in the CEP opportunity, both for B2B and especially B2B2C next generation applications.
- This could include situations where several data sources contribute to a decision process without human intervention, such as reflecting weather conditions in agriculture management to trigger automatic irrigation or powering real-time human behavior profiling and facial recognition alerts for security applications.
- Increasing reliance on M2M data and tighter integration with other IT systems resulted in 80 percent of respondents noting that minimizing downtime in M2M has become critically important.
Other Key Findings
- Securing M2M Data is Critical: The increasing value, as well as volume of data, means that storing, managing, securing and analyzing data from connected devices is becoming mission critical within organizations. As such, leading implementation priorities have now become:
- Ensuring end-to-end security indicated by 60 percent of participants.
- Integration with IT, indicated by 50 percent of participants.
- Coordinating partners in an increasingly complex value chain, indicated by 45 percent of participants.
- Powering M2M Solutions in the Cloud Reduces Cost and Complexity: Leveraging the cloud was noted as key in M2M projects, as it greatly reduces the cost and complexity of delivering M2M solutions. In fact, 90 percent of respondents noted the cloud as being "vitally important" to M2M initiatives.
- Platform Standardization Growing in Importance: 50 percent of those surveyed noted they see the advantages of having the same software development environment and programming language, such as Java, across all components of an M2M solution.
- "Cheaper, more powerful devices and low cost mobile network connectivity are driving an explosion in the number of connected devices and the data generated by them. The "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" research shows a shift in focus towards extracting value from that data and capitalizing on new business models which are enabled by the pervasion of connected devices," said Chris Baker, senior vice president ISV, OEM and Java Sales, Oracle Alliances & Channels. "From Java on the devices to Oracle Engineered Systems in the datacenter, Oracle's end-to-end M2M platform can simplify the process of collecting, storing, managing and analyzing the data collected by connected devices, while minimizing storage costs and helping ensure the integrity and security of data."
- "The substantial growth prospects for the M2M market can only be achieved through successful deployment of M2M solutions end-to-end, many of which are complex," said Robin Duke-Woolley, CEO of Beecham Research. "This research helps to confirm the real trends under way for solution requirements in the M2M market, including the growing business-to-business-to- consumer opportunity, and how these can best be supported."
- "Our customers use the SeeControl Nexus Cloud to design and launch unique M2M-based businesses across multiple verticals. Due to our exclusive use of Oracle technologies -- from device to data center -- they are confident in getting to market fast and evolving these novel M2M services as they get feedback. And, customers know our cloud offers the highest levels of enterprise grade security, scalability and performance," Bryan Kester, CEO, SeeControl.
- Download the full "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" report Oracle PartnerNetwork
- Oracle PartnerNetwork M2M Platform Knowledge Zone and Specialization
- Oracle's Java Embedded Products
- Connect with the Oracle Partner and Java communities at OPN on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube or Java on Twitter, I Love Java on Facebook and Java on YouTube
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
Jul. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 909
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Infrastructure & Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS) is a managed services provider of cloud computing solutions for the IBM Power Systems market. The company helps mid-market firms built on IBM hardware platforms to deploy new levels of reliable and cost-effective computing and high availability solutions, leveraging the cloud and the benefits of Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS...
Jul. 4, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 960
"We have a tagline - "Power in the API Economy." What that means is everything that is built in applications and connected applications is done through APIs," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at Akana, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 4, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,257
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Jul. 4, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 949
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Among the proven benefits, DevOps is corr...
Jul. 4, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 892
The basic integration architecture, as defined by ESBs, hasn’t changed for more than a decade. Most cloud integration providers still rely on an ESB architecture and their proprietary connectors. As a result, enterprise integration projects suffer from constraints of availability and reliability of these connectors that are not re-usable across other integration vendors. However, the rapid adoption of APIs and almost ubiquitous availability of APIs amongst most SaaS and Cloud applications are rapidly redefining traditional integration approaches and their reliance on proprietary connectors. ...
Jul. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 940
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jul. 4, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,419
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving this change including privacy controls, data transparency and integration of real time context wi...
Jul. 4, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,332
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 4, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,308
WebRTC converts the entire network into a ubiquitous communications cloud thereby connecting anytime, anywhere through any point. In his session at WebRTC Summit,, Mark Castleman, EIR at Bell Labs and Head of Future X Labs, will discuss how the transformational nature of communications is achieved through the democratizing force of WebRTC. WebRTC is doing for voice what HTML did for web content.
Jul. 4, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 995
To many people, IoT is a buzzword whose value is not understood. Many people think IoT is all about wearables and home automation. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed some incredible game-changing use cases and how they are transforming industries like agriculture, manufacturing, health care, and smart cities. He will discuss cool technologies like smart dust, robotics, smart labels, and much more. Prepare to be blown away with a glimpse of the future.
Jul. 4, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,069
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 4, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,047
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world and it starts with business models and monetization strategies.
Jul. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,399
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, discussed how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust IoT ...
Jul. 3, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,188
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust IT industrialization – allowing customers to provide amazing user experiences with optimized IT per...
Jun. 29, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,813
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
Jun. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,256
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will addresses this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jun. 29, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,605
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a "Make or Buy" decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud business applications and services across multiple cloud delivery models.
Jun. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,316
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jun. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,333
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you'll have no problem fillin...
Jun. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,329