|By Marketwired .||
|November 5, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/05/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Today, Oracle announced the results of its "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" research, examining the evolving drivers behind 'Machine to Machine' (M2M) projects and how those changes are impacting solution requirements.
- The research, which was produced by M2M analyst experts Beecham Research on behalf of Oracle, provides a qualitative assessment of solution requirements across the M2M value chain. Participants included end-users, major product OEMs, systems integrators, mobile network operators and M2M platform providers in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
- The research found that M2M data from remotely located assets and devices in the field is increasingly being used more broadly for strategic purposes and value creation throughout the enterprise. It has also become a means for creating new market opportunities while providing a competitive advantage for enterprise users in their own key markets.
- Other key findings included an increased focus on leveraging the cloud and managing data security in M2M initiatives, as more information is integrated and shared across departments and business functions.
- To access the full report, please visit here.
M2M Data Becoming Increasingly Critical Across the Enterprise
- The research found that the main drivers behind M2M projects are evolving, with 75 percent of participants noting that enabling new services and revenue streams is fuelling M2M projects.
- While leveraging M2M data in operations is still key, the research found a growing interest among adopters in using M2M data for strategic decision making, providing feedback on product and services performance in the field, and tailoring products and services to meet specific customer needs.
- 85 percent of users said an increased focus on better managing large volumes of M2M generated data is necessary to address performance and costs issues, especially as applications, such as smart meters and automotive telematics/automotive diagnostics systems, are generating increased volumes of data.
- The use of Complex Event Processing (CEP) with M2M data will also provide users with the real-time intelligence they need to take immediate action on pre-determined factors. 65 percent of respondents saw high value in the CEP opportunity, both for B2B and especially B2B2C next generation applications.
- This could include situations where several data sources contribute to a decision process without human intervention, such as reflecting weather conditions in agriculture management to trigger automatic irrigation or powering real-time human behavior profiling and facial recognition alerts for security applications.
- Increasing reliance on M2M data and tighter integration with other IT systems resulted in 80 percent of respondents noting that minimizing downtime in M2M has become critically important.
Other Key Findings
- Securing M2M Data is Critical: The increasing value, as well as volume of data, means that storing, managing, securing and analyzing data from connected devices is becoming mission critical within organizations. As such, leading implementation priorities have now become:
- Ensuring end-to-end security indicated by 60 percent of participants.
- Integration with IT, indicated by 50 percent of participants.
- Coordinating partners in an increasingly complex value chain, indicated by 45 percent of participants.
- Powering M2M Solutions in the Cloud Reduces Cost and Complexity: Leveraging the cloud was noted as key in M2M projects, as it greatly reduces the cost and complexity of delivering M2M solutions. In fact, 90 percent of respondents noted the cloud as being "vitally important" to M2M initiatives.
- Platform Standardization Growing in Importance: 50 percent of those surveyed noted they see the advantages of having the same software development environment and programming language, such as Java, across all components of an M2M solution.
- "Cheaper, more powerful devices and low cost mobile network connectivity are driving an explosion in the number of connected devices and the data generated by them. The "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" research shows a shift in focus towards extracting value from that data and capitalizing on new business models which are enabled by the pervasion of connected devices," said Chris Baker, senior vice president ISV, OEM and Java Sales, Oracle Alliances & Channels. "From Java on the devices to Oracle Engineered Systems in the datacenter, Oracle's end-to-end M2M platform can simplify the process of collecting, storing, managing and analyzing the data collected by connected devices, while minimizing storage costs and helping ensure the integrity and security of data."
- "The substantial growth prospects for the M2M market can only be achieved through successful deployment of M2M solutions end-to-end, many of which are complex," said Robin Duke-Woolley, CEO of Beecham Research. "This research helps to confirm the real trends under way for solution requirements in the M2M market, including the growing business-to-business-to- consumer opportunity, and how these can best be supported."
- "Our customers use the SeeControl Nexus Cloud to design and launch unique M2M-based businesses across multiple verticals. Due to our exclusive use of Oracle technologies -- from device to data center -- they are confident in getting to market fast and evolving these novel M2M services as they get feedback. And, customers know our cloud offers the highest levels of enterprise grade security, scalability and performance," Bryan Kester, CEO, SeeControl.
- Download the full "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" report Oracle PartnerNetwork
- Oracle PartnerNetwork M2M Platform Knowledge Zone and Specialization
- Oracle's Java Embedded Products
- Connect with the Oracle Partner and Java communities at OPN on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube or Java on Twitter, I Love Java on Facebook and Java on YouTube
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,560
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,670
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 29, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,597
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 29, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,455
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 29, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,673
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 29, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,992
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 28, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,240
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,444
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,101
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 28, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,720
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 28, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,245
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,218
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,207
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,793
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,048
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jul. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,910
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 740
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 636
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,258
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 28, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,176