|By Marketwired .||
|November 5, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 11/05/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Today, Oracle announced the results of its "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" research, examining the evolving drivers behind 'Machine to Machine' (M2M) projects and how those changes are impacting solution requirements.
- The research, which was produced by M2M analyst experts Beecham Research on behalf of Oracle, provides a qualitative assessment of solution requirements across the M2M value chain. Participants included end-users, major product OEMs, systems integrators, mobile network operators and M2M platform providers in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
- The research found that M2M data from remotely located assets and devices in the field is increasingly being used more broadly for strategic purposes and value creation throughout the enterprise. It has also become a means for creating new market opportunities while providing a competitive advantage for enterprise users in their own key markets.
- Other key findings included an increased focus on leveraging the cloud and managing data security in M2M initiatives, as more information is integrated and shared across departments and business functions.
- To access the full report, please visit here.
M2M Data Becoming Increasingly Critical Across the Enterprise
- The research found that the main drivers behind M2M projects are evolving, with 75 percent of participants noting that enabling new services and revenue streams is fuelling M2M projects.
- While leveraging M2M data in operations is still key, the research found a growing interest among adopters in using M2M data for strategic decision making, providing feedback on product and services performance in the field, and tailoring products and services to meet specific customer needs.
- 85 percent of users said an increased focus on better managing large volumes of M2M generated data is necessary to address performance and costs issues, especially as applications, such as smart meters and automotive telematics/automotive diagnostics systems, are generating increased volumes of data.
- The use of Complex Event Processing (CEP) with M2M data will also provide users with the real-time intelligence they need to take immediate action on pre-determined factors. 65 percent of respondents saw high value in the CEP opportunity, both for B2B and especially B2B2C next generation applications.
- This could include situations where several data sources contribute to a decision process without human intervention, such as reflecting weather conditions in agriculture management to trigger automatic irrigation or powering real-time human behavior profiling and facial recognition alerts for security applications.
- Increasing reliance on M2M data and tighter integration with other IT systems resulted in 80 percent of respondents noting that minimizing downtime in M2M has become critically important.
Other Key Findings
- Securing M2M Data is Critical: The increasing value, as well as volume of data, means that storing, managing, securing and analyzing data from connected devices is becoming mission critical within organizations. As such, leading implementation priorities have now become:
- Ensuring end-to-end security indicated by 60 percent of participants.
- Integration with IT, indicated by 50 percent of participants.
- Coordinating partners in an increasingly complex value chain, indicated by 45 percent of participants.
- Powering M2M Solutions in the Cloud Reduces Cost and Complexity: Leveraging the cloud was noted as key in M2M projects, as it greatly reduces the cost and complexity of delivering M2M solutions. In fact, 90 percent of respondents noted the cloud as being "vitally important" to M2M initiatives.
- Platform Standardization Growing in Importance: 50 percent of those surveyed noted they see the advantages of having the same software development environment and programming language, such as Java, across all components of an M2M solution.
- "Cheaper, more powerful devices and low cost mobile network connectivity are driving an explosion in the number of connected devices and the data generated by them. The "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" research shows a shift in focus towards extracting value from that data and capitalizing on new business models which are enabled by the pervasion of connected devices," said Chris Baker, senior vice president ISV, OEM and Java Sales, Oracle Alliances & Channels. "From Java on the devices to Oracle Engineered Systems in the datacenter, Oracle's end-to-end M2M platform can simplify the process of collecting, storing, managing and analyzing the data collected by connected devices, while minimizing storage costs and helping ensure the integrity and security of data."
- "The substantial growth prospects for the M2M market can only be achieved through successful deployment of M2M solutions end-to-end, many of which are complex," said Robin Duke-Woolley, CEO of Beecham Research. "This research helps to confirm the real trends under way for solution requirements in the M2M market, including the growing business-to-business-to- consumer opportunity, and how these can best be supported."
- "Our customers use the SeeControl Nexus Cloud to design and launch unique M2M-based businesses across multiple verticals. Due to our exclusive use of Oracle technologies -- from device to data center -- they are confident in getting to market fast and evolving these novel M2M services as they get feedback. And, customers know our cloud offers the highest levels of enterprise grade security, scalability and performance," Bryan Kester, CEO, SeeControl.
- Download the full "Designing an M2M Platform for the Connected World" report Oracle PartnerNetwork
- Oracle PartnerNetwork M2M Platform Knowledge Zone and Specialization
- Oracle's Java Embedded Products
- Connect with the Oracle Partner and Java communities at OPN on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube or Java on Twitter, I Love Java on Facebook and Java on YouTube
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 13, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 251
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 13, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 140
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 13, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 277
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 469
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 470
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 13, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 442
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 271
WebSocket is effectively a persistent and fat pipe that is compatible with a standard web infrastructure; a "TCP for the Web." If you think of WebSocket in this light, there are other more hugely interesting applications of WebSocket than just simply sending data to a browser. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Frank Greco, Director of Technology for Kaazing Corporation, will compare other modern web connectivity methods such as HTTP/2, HTTP Streaming, Server-Sent Events and new W3C event APIs ...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:30 AM EST
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 154
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 13, 2016 11:00 AM EST
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:00 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 13, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 148
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
Feb. 13, 2016 10:00 AM EST
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 13, 2016 09:45 AM EST Reads: 231
Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE: SSNI) extended its Internet of Things technology platform with performance enhancements to Gen5 – its fifth generation critical infrastructure networking platform. Already delivering nearly 23 million devices on five continents as one of the leading networking providers in the market, Silver Spring announced it is doubling the maximum speed of its Gen5 network to up to 2.4 Mbps, increasing computational performance by 10x, supporting simultaneous mesh communic...
Feb. 13, 2016 05:00 AM EST
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 13, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 472
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 13, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 251
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 12, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 141
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 426