|By AppDynamics Blog||
|April 4, 2013 03:15 PM EDT||
Planning to deploy or migrate an application to a cloud environment is a big deal. In my last post we discussed the value of using real business and IT requirements to drive the justification of using a cloud architecture. We also explored the importance of using monitoring information to understand your before and after pictureof application performance and overall success.
In this post I am going to dive deeper into the planning phase. You can't expect to throw a half assed plan in place and just deal with problems as they pop up during an application migration. That will almost certainly result in frustration for the end users, IT staff, and the business who relies upon the application.
In reality, at least 90% of your total project time should be dedicated to planning and at most 10% to the actual implementation. The big question is "What are the most important aspects of the planning phase?". Here's my cloud migration planning top 10 list:
- Application Portfolio Rationalization - Let's face reality for a moment... If you're in a large enterprise you have multiple apps that perform a very similar business function at some level. Application Portfolio Rationalization is a method of discovering the overlap between your application and consolidating where it makes sense. It's like spring cleaning for your IT department. You need to get your house in order before you decide to start moving applications or you will just waste a lot of time and money moving duplicate business functionality across your portfolio.
- Business Justification and Goal Identification - If there is one thing I try to make clear in every blog post it is the fact that you need to justify your activities using business logic. If there is no business driver for a change then why make the change? Even very techie-like activities can be related back to business drivers.
Example... Techie Activity: Quarterly server patching Business Driver: Failure to patch exposes the business to risk of being hacked which could cause brand damage and loss of revenue.
I included goal identification with business justification because your goals should align with the business drivers responsible for the change.
- Current State Architecture Assessment (App and Infra) - This task sounds simple but is really difficult for most companies. Current State Architecture Assessment is all about documenting the actual deployed application components, infrastructure components, and application dependencies. Why is this so difficult? Most enterprises have implemented a CMDB to try and document this information but the CMDB is typically manually populated and updated. What happens in reality is that over time the CMDB is neglected when application and infrastructure changes occur. In order to solve this problem some companies have turned to Automated discovery and dependency mapping tools. These tools are usually agentless so they login to each server and scan for processes, network connections, etc... at pre-defined intervals and create a very detailed mapping that includes all persistent connections to and from each host regardless of whether or not they are application related. The periodic scans also miss the short lived services calls between applications unless the scan happens to be at approximately the same time of the transient application call. An agent based APM tool covers all the gaps associated with these other methods.How well do you know the current architecture and dependencies of your application?
- Current State Performance Assessment - Traditional monitoring metrics (CPU, Memory, Disk I/O, Network I/O, etc...) will help you size your cloud environment but tell you nothing about the actual application performance. The important performance metrics encompass end user response time, business transaction response time, external service response time, error and exception rates, transaction throughput, with baselines for each. This is also a good time to make sure there are no glaring performance issues that you are going to promote into your cloud environment. It's better to fix any known issues before you migrate as the extra complexity of the cloud can amplify your application problems. You don't want to carry application problems into your new environment.
- Architectural Change Impact Assessment - Now that you know what your real application and infrastructure components are, you need to assess the impact of the difference between traditional and cloud architectures. Are there components that wont work well (or at all) in a cloud architecture? Are code changes required to take advantage of the dynamic features available in your cloud of choice? You need to have a very good understanding of how your application works today and how you want it to work after migration and plan accordingly.
- Problem Resolution Planning - Problem resolution planning is about making a commitment to your monitoring tools and strategy as a core layer of your overall application architecture. The number of potential points of failure increases dramatically from traditional to cloud environments due to increased virtualization and dynamic scaling. In highly distributed applications you need monitoring tools that will tell you exactly where problems are occurring or you will spend too much time isolating the problem location. Make monitoring a part of your application deployment and support culture!!!
- Process re-alignment - Just hearing the word "process" makes me cringe and have flashbacks to the giant, bloated , slow moving enterprise environments that I used to call my workplace. The unfortunate truth is that we really do need solid processes if we want to maintain order and have any chance of managing a large environment in a sustainable fashion. Many of the traditional IT development and operations processes need to be modified when we migrate to the cloud so you can't overlook this task.
- Application re-development - The fruits of your Architectural Change Impact Assessment work will probably precipitate some level of development work within your application. Maybe only minor tweaks are required, maybe significant portions of your code need to change, maybe this application should never have been selected as a cloud migration candidate. If you need to change the application code you need to test it all over again and measure the performance.
- Application Functional and Performance Testing - No surprises here, after the code has been modified to function as intended with your cloud deployment it needs to be tested. APM tools really speed up the testing process since they show you the root of your performance problems down to the line of code level. If you rely only upon the output of your application testing suite your developers will spend hours trying to figure out what code to change instead of minutes fixing the problematic code.
Know exactly where the problem is whether it is in your code or an external service.
- Training (New Processes and Technology) - With all of those new and/or modified processes and new software required to support your cloud application training is imperative. Never forget the "people" part of "people, process, technology".
There's a lot more that really goes into planning a cloud migration but these major tasks are the big ones in my book. Give these 10 tasks the attention they deserve and the odds will shift in your favor for a successful cloud migration. Next week we'll talk about important work that should happen after your application gets migrated.
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,527
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,353
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,918
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,327
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 28, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,237
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,049
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,621
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 28, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,263
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,191
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,431
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,979
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 28, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,685
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,256
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,116
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,245
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,196
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,320
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,581
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 857
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,465