|By Marketwired .||
|October 17, 2013 08:00 AM EDT||
ANAHEIM, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 10/17/13 -- EDUCAUSE -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
- Colleges and universities nationwide are driving consolidation, reducing operating expenses, and improving application performance to support peak registration periods and other critical processes through the adoption of Oracle Exadata Database Machine, a key component of Oracle Engineered Systems.
- Engineered to deliver extreme performance and the most available platform for running the Oracle Database, Oracle Exadata combines massive memory and low-cost disks to deliver petabyte scalability at a lower cost.
University of Arkansas
- The University of Arkansas, which is among the top two percent of research colleges and universities nationwide(1), implemented Oracle Exadata Database Machine to help improve performance of key Oracle software -- including PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, Oracle WebCenter Content and locally-developed Java applications -- as well as third party systems -- during peak registration times.
- The university installed two Oracle Exadata Database Machines, retiring its existing aging storage system after the migration -- consolidating the university's server footprint and reducing maintenance costs.
- With Oracle Exadata, the University of Arkansas expects to spend less time troubleshooting hardware problems, updating firmware and patching systems.
- The University of Arkansas has already experienced significant performance improvements, especially during the Fall 2013 registration period when the university reached record setting enrollment with 25,365 students -- positioning the University of Arkansas as the 13th fasting growing public research university in the country. (2)
Northern Illinois University
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), with more than 22,000 undergraduate and graduate students and four regional campuses, implemented Oracle Exadata to replace its aging infrastructure and help reduce IT maintenance costs.
- NIU's implementation of two Oracle Exadata Database Machines reduced maintenance requirements by integrating disparate hardware across development, quality assurance and production environments into one consolidated platform running the university's PeopleSoft applications for its student system, financials, and human resources management. The new system also boosted performance and reliability by cutting batch processing run times significantly.
- NIU also reduced costs and saved time during the implementation process as the engineered systems came ready out of the box, with Oracle Real Application Clusters already configured. In addition, Oracle Exadata laid the foundation for the university's disaster recovery solution across two data centers -- helping to ensure continuous availability of its key systems.
Brigham Young University
- Brigham Young University (BYU), located in Provo, Utah, with a student body population of more than 30,000 and nearly 4,000 employees, recently implemented Oracle Exadata Database Machine to help improve critical campus system performance while optimizing its existing investment in Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, PeopleSoft Financial Management, and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management.
- With Oracle Exadata, the university has consolidated 50 database servers and associated storage systems, with the intent to allow BYU to improve registration system reliability during peak periods at the beginning of each semester.
- "We are extremely pleased with the noticeable performance improvements since migrating to Oracle Exadata Database Machine," said Walter Green, open systems and mainframe manager, University of Arkansas. "Our system ran smoothly for our users, ranging from end-users to upper administration, during peak registration days. Oracle Exadata's reliability and scalability enabled the university to support an all-time high enrollment record that we did not expect to reach until 2021."
- "Oracle Exadata Database Machine significantly improved our administrative system availability and reliability, and helped the university to significantly accelerate batch run times," said Steven Pace, associate director, Division of Finance and Facilities, Northern Illinois University. "Our students and staff now have access to critical campus systems without the interruption of downtime or system backups."
- "We are pleased to see the vast improvements stemming from Oracle Exadata Database Machine as the foundation for numerous universities' systems. Oracle Exadata helps institutions to reduce IT costs through consolidation and store up to ten times more data, enabling them to simplify technology management while helping to improve system performance for students, faculty and staff," said Cole Clark, global vice president of education and research, Oracle.
- Oracle in Higher Education
- Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Oracle Engineered Systems
- Oracle Higher Education on Twitter
- Oracle Higher Education on Facebook
- Oracle Higher Education on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) "The University of Arkansas Elevated to Highest Carnegie Classification Among U.S. Universities and Colleges," February 22, 2011.
(2) The Chronicle of Higher Education, August 29, 2013.
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 1,686
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 3,754
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,285
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,816
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 22, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,226
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 22, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 4,390
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 22, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,684
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 22, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 2,971
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Jan. 22, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 3,735
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 22, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 3,022
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 22, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 4,767
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Jan. 22, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 984
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 22, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 5,011
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 22, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 1,979
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Jan. 22, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 5,075
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 2,918
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, Sandy Ca...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 7,925
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 11,768
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Jan. 22, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 6,596
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, discussed the impact of technology on identity. Sho...
Jan. 22, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 4,209