|By Marketwired .||
|October 17, 2013 08:00 AM EDT||
ANAHEIM, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 10/17/13 -- EDUCAUSE -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
- Colleges and universities nationwide are driving consolidation, reducing operating expenses, and improving application performance to support peak registration periods and other critical processes through the adoption of Oracle Exadata Database Machine, a key component of Oracle Engineered Systems.
- Engineered to deliver extreme performance and the most available platform for running the Oracle Database, Oracle Exadata combines massive memory and low-cost disks to deliver petabyte scalability at a lower cost.
University of Arkansas
- The University of Arkansas, which is among the top two percent of research colleges and universities nationwide(1), implemented Oracle Exadata Database Machine to help improve performance of key Oracle software -- including PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, Oracle WebCenter Content and locally-developed Java applications -- as well as third party systems -- during peak registration times.
- The university installed two Oracle Exadata Database Machines, retiring its existing aging storage system after the migration -- consolidating the university's server footprint and reducing maintenance costs.
- With Oracle Exadata, the University of Arkansas expects to spend less time troubleshooting hardware problems, updating firmware and patching systems.
- The University of Arkansas has already experienced significant performance improvements, especially during the Fall 2013 registration period when the university reached record setting enrollment with 25,365 students -- positioning the University of Arkansas as the 13th fasting growing public research university in the country. (2)
Northern Illinois University
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), with more than 22,000 undergraduate and graduate students and four regional campuses, implemented Oracle Exadata to replace its aging infrastructure and help reduce IT maintenance costs.
- NIU's implementation of two Oracle Exadata Database Machines reduced maintenance requirements by integrating disparate hardware across development, quality assurance and production environments into one consolidated platform running the university's PeopleSoft applications for its student system, financials, and human resources management. The new system also boosted performance and reliability by cutting batch processing run times significantly.
- NIU also reduced costs and saved time during the implementation process as the engineered systems came ready out of the box, with Oracle Real Application Clusters already configured. In addition, Oracle Exadata laid the foundation for the university's disaster recovery solution across two data centers -- helping to ensure continuous availability of its key systems.
Brigham Young University
- Brigham Young University (BYU), located in Provo, Utah, with a student body population of more than 30,000 and nearly 4,000 employees, recently implemented Oracle Exadata Database Machine to help improve critical campus system performance while optimizing its existing investment in Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, PeopleSoft Financial Management, and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management.
- With Oracle Exadata, the university has consolidated 50 database servers and associated storage systems, with the intent to allow BYU to improve registration system reliability during peak periods at the beginning of each semester.
- "We are extremely pleased with the noticeable performance improvements since migrating to Oracle Exadata Database Machine," said Walter Green, open systems and mainframe manager, University of Arkansas. "Our system ran smoothly for our users, ranging from end-users to upper administration, during peak registration days. Oracle Exadata's reliability and scalability enabled the university to support an all-time high enrollment record that we did not expect to reach until 2021."
- "Oracle Exadata Database Machine significantly improved our administrative system availability and reliability, and helped the university to significantly accelerate batch run times," said Steven Pace, associate director, Division of Finance and Facilities, Northern Illinois University. "Our students and staff now have access to critical campus systems without the interruption of downtime or system backups."
- "We are pleased to see the vast improvements stemming from Oracle Exadata Database Machine as the foundation for numerous universities' systems. Oracle Exadata helps institutions to reduce IT costs through consolidation and store up to ten times more data, enabling them to simplify technology management while helping to improve system performance for students, faculty and staff," said Cole Clark, global vice president of education and research, Oracle.
- Oracle in Higher Education
- Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Oracle Engineered Systems
- Oracle Higher Education on Twitter
- Oracle Higher Education on Facebook
- Oracle Higher Education on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) "The University of Arkansas Elevated to Highest Carnegie Classification Among U.S. Universities and Colleges," February 22, 2011.
(2) The Chronicle of Higher Education, August 29, 2013.
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 791
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 600
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 28, 2017 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,087
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 28, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,180
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 28, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,555
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 28, 2017 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,562
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 28, 2017 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,107
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 28, 2017 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,403
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 28, 2017 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,299
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 28, 2017 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,397
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 28, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 929
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Apr. 28, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,263
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 28, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,280
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 28, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,703
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 28, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,425
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,441
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,464
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,325
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,519
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,267