|By Marketwired .||
|October 17, 2013 08:00 AM EDT||
ANAHEIM, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 10/17/13 -- EDUCAUSE -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
- Colleges and universities nationwide are driving consolidation, reducing operating expenses, and improving application performance to support peak registration periods and other critical processes through the adoption of Oracle Exadata Database Machine, a key component of Oracle Engineered Systems.
- Engineered to deliver extreme performance and the most available platform for running the Oracle Database, Oracle Exadata combines massive memory and low-cost disks to deliver petabyte scalability at a lower cost.
University of Arkansas
- The University of Arkansas, which is among the top two percent of research colleges and universities nationwide(1), implemented Oracle Exadata Database Machine to help improve performance of key Oracle software -- including PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, Oracle WebCenter Content and locally-developed Java applications -- as well as third party systems -- during peak registration times.
- The university installed two Oracle Exadata Database Machines, retiring its existing aging storage system after the migration -- consolidating the university's server footprint and reducing maintenance costs.
- With Oracle Exadata, the University of Arkansas expects to spend less time troubleshooting hardware problems, updating firmware and patching systems.
- The University of Arkansas has already experienced significant performance improvements, especially during the Fall 2013 registration period when the university reached record setting enrollment with 25,365 students -- positioning the University of Arkansas as the 13th fasting growing public research university in the country. (2)
Northern Illinois University
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), with more than 22,000 undergraduate and graduate students and four regional campuses, implemented Oracle Exadata to replace its aging infrastructure and help reduce IT maintenance costs.
- NIU's implementation of two Oracle Exadata Database Machines reduced maintenance requirements by integrating disparate hardware across development, quality assurance and production environments into one consolidated platform running the university's PeopleSoft applications for its student system, financials, and human resources management. The new system also boosted performance and reliability by cutting batch processing run times significantly.
- NIU also reduced costs and saved time during the implementation process as the engineered systems came ready out of the box, with Oracle Real Application Clusters already configured. In addition, Oracle Exadata laid the foundation for the university's disaster recovery solution across two data centers -- helping to ensure continuous availability of its key systems.
Brigham Young University
- Brigham Young University (BYU), located in Provo, Utah, with a student body population of more than 30,000 and nearly 4,000 employees, recently implemented Oracle Exadata Database Machine to help improve critical campus system performance while optimizing its existing investment in Oracle's PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, PeopleSoft Financial Management, and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management.
- With Oracle Exadata, the university has consolidated 50 database servers and associated storage systems, with the intent to allow BYU to improve registration system reliability during peak periods at the beginning of each semester.
- "We are extremely pleased with the noticeable performance improvements since migrating to Oracle Exadata Database Machine," said Walter Green, open systems and mainframe manager, University of Arkansas. "Our system ran smoothly for our users, ranging from end-users to upper administration, during peak registration days. Oracle Exadata's reliability and scalability enabled the university to support an all-time high enrollment record that we did not expect to reach until 2021."
- "Oracle Exadata Database Machine significantly improved our administrative system availability and reliability, and helped the university to significantly accelerate batch run times," said Steven Pace, associate director, Division of Finance and Facilities, Northern Illinois University. "Our students and staff now have access to critical campus systems without the interruption of downtime or system backups."
- "We are pleased to see the vast improvements stemming from Oracle Exadata Database Machine as the foundation for numerous universities' systems. Oracle Exadata helps institutions to reduce IT costs through consolidation and store up to ten times more data, enabling them to simplify technology management while helping to improve system performance for students, faculty and staff," said Cole Clark, global vice president of education and research, Oracle.
- Oracle in Higher Education
- Oracle Exadata Database Machine
- Oracle Engineered Systems
- Oracle Higher Education on Twitter
- Oracle Higher Education on Facebook
- Oracle Higher Education on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) "The University of Arkansas Elevated to Highest Carnegie Classification Among U.S. Universities and Colleges," February 22, 2011.
(2) The Chronicle of Higher Education, August 29, 2013.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 22, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 681
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 22, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,407
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 22, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 921
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 22, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,750
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 22, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 414
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 22, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,093
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Oct. 22, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,251
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 22, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 379
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 22, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,226
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 22, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 11,214
If you had a chance to enter on the ground level of the largest e-commerce market in the world – would you? China is the world’s most populated country with the second largest economy and the world’s fastest growing market. It is estimated that by 2018 the Chinese market will be reaching over $30 billion in gaming revenue alone. Admittedly for a foreign company, doing business in China can be challenging. Often changing laws, administrative regulations and the often inscrutable Chinese Interne...
Oct. 22, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,342
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 22, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 474
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Oct. 22, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,474
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 22, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 808
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 22, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,666
The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF), sponsor of the IoTivity open source project, and AllSeen Alliance, which provides the AllJoyn® open source IoT framework, today announced that the two organizations’ boards have approved a merger under the OCF name and bylaws. This merger will advance interoperability between connected devices from both groups, enabling the full operating potential of IoT and representing a significant step towards a connected ecosystem.
Oct. 22, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,152
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 22, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,615
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 22, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 900
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 22, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 815
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 22, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,183