|By Jyoti Bansal||
|March 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
Just in case you haven’t heard, Waterfall is out and Agile is in. For organizations that thrive on innovation, successful agile development and continuous deployment processes are paramount to reducing go to market time, fast tracking product enhancements and quickly resolving defects.
Executed successfully, with the right team in place, Agile practices should result in higher functional product quality. Operating in small, focused teams that work well-defined sprints with clearly groomed stories is ideal for early QA involvement, parallel test planning and execution.
But how do you manage non-functional performance quality in an Agile model? The reality is that traditional performance engineering, and testing, is often best performed over longer periods of time; workload characterizations, capacity planning, script development, test user creation, test data development, multi-day soak tests and more… are not always easily adaptable into 2-week, or shorter, sprints. And the high-velocity of development change often cause continuous, and sometimes large, ripples that disrupt a team’s ability to keep up with these activities; anyone ever had a data model change break their test dataset?
Before joining AppDynamics I faced this exact scenario as the Lead Performance Engineer for PayPal’s Java Middleware team. PayPal was undergoing an Agile transformation and our small team of historically matrix aligned, specialty engineers, was challenged to adapt.
Here are my best practices and lessons learned, sometimes the hard way, of how to adapt performance-engineering practices into an agile development model:
- Fully integrate yourself into the Sprint team, immediately. My first big success at PayPal was the day I had my desk moved to sit in the middle of the Dev team. I joined the water cooler talk, attended every standup, shot nerf missiles across the room, wrote and groomed stories as a core part of the scrum team. Performance awareness, practices, and results organically increased because it was a well represented function within the team as opposed to an after thought farmed out to a remote organization.
- Build multiple performance and stress test scenarios with distinct goals and execution schedules. Plan for longer soak and stress tests as part of the release process, but have one or more per-sprint, and even nightly, performance tests that can be continually executed to proactively measure performance, and identify defects as they are introduced. Consider it your mission to quantify the performance impact of a code change.
- Extend your Continuous Integration (CI) pipelines to include performance testing. At PayPal, I built custom integrations between Jenkins and JMeter to automate test execution and report generation. Our pipelines triggered automated nightly regressions on development branches and within a well-understood platform where QA and development could parameterize workload, kick-off a performance test and interpret a test report. Unless you like working 18-hour days, I can’t overstate the importance of building integrations into tools that are already or easily adopted by the broader team. If you’re using Jenkins, you might take a look at the Jenkins Performance Plugin.
- Define Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). In an Agile model you should expect smaller scoped tests, executed at a higher frequency. It’s critical to have a set of KPIs the group understands, and buys into, so you can quickly look at a test and interpret if a) things look good, or b) something funky happened and additional investigation is needed. Some organizations have clearly defined non-functional criteria, or SLAs, and many don’t. Be Agile with your KPIs, and refine them over time. Here are some of the KPIs we commonly evaluated:
- Percentile Response-Time - 90th, 95th, 99th - Summary and Per-Transaction
- Throughput – Summary and Per-Transaction
- Garbage Collector (GC) Performance - % non-paused time, number of collections (major and minor), and collection times.
- Heap Utilization – Young Generation and Tenured Space
- Resource Pools – Connection Pools and Thread Pools
5. Invest in best of breed tooling. With higher velocity code change and release schedules, it’s essential to have deep visibility into your performance environment. Embrace tooling, but consider these factors impacted by Agile development:
- Can your toolset automatically, and continuously discover, map and diagnose failures in a distributed system without asking you to configure what methods should be monitored? In an Agile team the code base is constantly shifting. If you have to configure method-level monitoring, you’ll spend significant time maintaining tooling, rather than solving problems.
- Can the solution be enabled out of the box under heavy loads? If the overhead of your tooling degrades performance under high loads, it’s ineffective in a performance environment. Don’t let your performance monitoring become your performance problem.
When a vendor recommends you reduce monitoring coverage to support load testing, consider a) the effectiveness of a tool which won’t provide 100% visibility, and b) how much time will be spent consistently reconfiguring monitoring for optimal overhead.
Performance testing within an Agile organization challenges us as engineers to adapt to a high velocity of change. Applying best practices gives us the opportunity to work as part of the development team to proactively identify and diagnose performance defects as code changes are introduced. Because the fastest way to resolve a defect in production is to fix it before it gets there.
Take five minutes to get complete visibility into the performance of your production applications with AppDynamics today.
The post Agile Performance Testing – Proactively Managing Performance written by Steve Sturtevant appeared first on Application Performance Monitoring Blog from AppDynamics.
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 23, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 877
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,312
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,254
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you ...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,645
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 23, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,287
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Mar. 22, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,937
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,705
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,245
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,936
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,178
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 821
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 22, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,228
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,379
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 928
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Mar. 22, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 8,131
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 22, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,415
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 22, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 654
SYS-CON Events announced today that CrowdReviews.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users that have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers...
Mar. 22, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,278
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 22, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,590
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 22, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,325