|By AppDynamics Blog||
|March 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
Just in case you haven’t heard, Waterfall is out and Agile is in. For organizations that thrive on innovation, successful agile development and continuous deployment processes are paramount to reducing go to market time, fast tracking product enhancements and quickly resolving defects.
Executed successfully, with the right team in place, Agile practices should result in higher functional product quality. Operating in small, focused teams that work well-defined sprints with clearly groomed stories is ideal for early QA involvement, parallel test planning and execution.
But how do you manage non-functional performance quality in an Agile model? The reality is that traditional performance engineering, and testing, is often best performed over longer periods of time; workload characterizations, capacity planning, script development, test user creation, test data development, multi-day soak tests and more… are not always easily adaptable into 2-week, or shorter, sprints. And the high-velocity of development change often cause continuous, and sometimes large, ripples that disrupt a team’s ability to keep up with these activities; anyone ever had a data model change break their test dataset?
Before joining AppDynamics I faced this exact scenario as the Lead Performance Engineer for PayPal’s Java Middleware team. PayPal was undergoing an Agile transformation and our small team of historically matrix aligned, specialty engineers, was challenged to adapt.
Here are my best practices and lessons learned, sometimes the hard way, of how to adapt performance-engineering practices into an agile development model:
- Fully integrate yourself into the Sprint team, immediately. My first big success at PayPal was the day I had my desk moved to sit in the middle of the Dev team. I joined the water cooler talk, attended every standup, shot nerf missiles across the room, wrote and groomed stories as a core part of the scrum team. Performance awareness, practices, and results organically increased because it was a well represented function within the team as opposed to an after thought farmed out to a remote organization.
- Build multiple performance and stress test scenarios with distinct goals and execution schedules. Plan for longer soak and stress tests as part of the release process, but have one or more per-sprint, and even nightly, performance tests that can be continually executed to proactively measure performance, and identify defects as they are introduced. Consider it your mission to quantify the performance impact of a code change.
- Extend your Continuous Integration (CI) pipelines to include performance testing. At PayPal, I built custom integrations between Jenkins and JMeter to automate test execution and report generation. Our pipelines triggered automated nightly regressions on development branches and within a well-understood platform where QA and development could parameterize workload, kick-off a performance test and interpret a test report. Unless you like working 18-hour days, I can’t overstate the importance of building integrations into tools that are already or easily adopted by the broader team. If you’re using Jenkins, you might take a look at the Jenkins Performance Plugin.
- Define Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). In an Agile model you should expect smaller scoped tests, executed at a higher frequency. It’s critical to have a set of KPIs the group understands, and buys into, so you can quickly look at a test and interpret if a) things look good, or b) something funky happened and additional investigation is needed. Some organizations have clearly defined non-functional criteria, or SLAs, and many don’t. Be Agile with your KPIs, and refine them over time. Here are some of the KPIs we commonly evaluated:
- Percentile Response-Time - 90th, 95th, 99th - Summary and Per-Transaction
- Throughput – Summary and Per-Transaction
- Garbage Collector (GC) Performance - % non-paused time, number of collections (major and minor), and collection times.
- Heap Utilization – Young Generation and Tenured Space
- Resource Pools – Connection Pools and Thread Pools
5. Invest in best of breed tooling. With higher velocity code change and release schedules, it’s essential to have deep visibility into your performance environment. Embrace tooling, but consider these factors impacted by Agile development:
- Can your toolset automatically, and continuously discover, map and diagnose failures in a distributed system without asking you to configure what methods should be monitored? In an Agile team the code base is constantly shifting. If you have to configure method-level monitoring, you’ll spend significant time maintaining tooling, rather than solving problems.
- Can the solution be enabled out of the box under heavy loads? If the overhead of your tooling degrades performance under high loads, it’s ineffective in a performance environment. Don’t let your performance monitoring become your performance problem.
When a vendor recommends you reduce monitoring coverage to support load testing, consider a) the effectiveness of a tool which won’t provide 100% visibility, and b) how much time will be spent consistently reconfiguring monitoring for optimal overhead.
Performance testing within an Agile organization challenges us as engineers to adapt to a high velocity of change. Applying best practices gives us the opportunity to work as part of the development team to proactively identify and diagnose performance defects as code changes are introduced. Because the fastest way to resolve a defect in production is to fix it before it gets there.
Take five minutes to get complete visibility into the performance of your production applications with AppDynamics today.
The post Agile Performance Testing – Proactively Managing Performance written by Steve Sturtevant appeared first on Application Performance Monitoring Blog from AppDynamics.
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,886
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,760
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,594
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,898
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,957
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 24, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 336
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,662
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 353
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 481
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,555
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,439
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,850
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,114
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,255
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,514
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 24, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,090
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,662
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,187
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 24, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,410
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,851