|By AppDynamics Blog||
|March 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
Just in case you haven’t heard, Waterfall is out and Agile is in. For organizations that thrive on innovation, successful agile development and continuous deployment processes are paramount to reducing go to market time, fast tracking product enhancements and quickly resolving defects.
Executed successfully, with the right team in place, Agile practices should result in higher functional product quality. Operating in small, focused teams that work well-defined sprints with clearly groomed stories is ideal for early QA involvement, parallel test planning and execution.
But how do you manage non-functional performance quality in an Agile model? The reality is that traditional performance engineering, and testing, is often best performed over longer periods of time; workload characterizations, capacity planning, script development, test user creation, test data development, multi-day soak tests and more… are not always easily adaptable into 2-week, or shorter, sprints. And the high-velocity of development change often cause continuous, and sometimes large, ripples that disrupt a team’s ability to keep up with these activities; anyone ever had a data model change break their test dataset?
Before joining AppDynamics I faced this exact scenario as the Lead Performance Engineer for PayPal’s Java Middleware team. PayPal was undergoing an Agile transformation and our small team of historically matrix aligned, specialty engineers, was challenged to adapt.
Here are my best practices and lessons learned, sometimes the hard way, of how to adapt performance-engineering practices into an agile development model:
- Fully integrate yourself into the Sprint team, immediately. My first big success at PayPal was the day I had my desk moved to sit in the middle of the Dev team. I joined the water cooler talk, attended every standup, shot nerf missiles across the room, wrote and groomed stories as a core part of the scrum team. Performance awareness, practices, and results organically increased because it was a well represented function within the team as opposed to an after thought farmed out to a remote organization.
- Build multiple performance and stress test scenarios with distinct goals and execution schedules. Plan for longer soak and stress tests as part of the release process, but have one or more per-sprint, and even nightly, performance tests that can be continually executed to proactively measure performance, and identify defects as they are introduced. Consider it your mission to quantify the performance impact of a code change.
- Extend your Continuous Integration (CI) pipelines to include performance testing. At PayPal, I built custom integrations between Jenkins and JMeter to automate test execution and report generation. Our pipelines triggered automated nightly regressions on development branches and within a well-understood platform where QA and development could parameterize workload, kick-off a performance test and interpret a test report. Unless you like working 18-hour days, I can’t overstate the importance of building integrations into tools that are already or easily adopted by the broader team. If you’re using Jenkins, you might take a look at the Jenkins Performance Plugin.
- Define Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). In an Agile model you should expect smaller scoped tests, executed at a higher frequency. It’s critical to have a set of KPIs the group understands, and buys into, so you can quickly look at a test and interpret if a) things look good, or b) something funky happened and additional investigation is needed. Some organizations have clearly defined non-functional criteria, or SLAs, and many don’t. Be Agile with your KPIs, and refine them over time. Here are some of the KPIs we commonly evaluated:
- Percentile Response-Time - 90th, 95th, 99th - Summary and Per-Transaction
- Throughput – Summary and Per-Transaction
- Garbage Collector (GC) Performance - % non-paused time, number of collections (major and minor), and collection times.
- Heap Utilization – Young Generation and Tenured Space
- Resource Pools – Connection Pools and Thread Pools
5. Invest in best of breed tooling. With higher velocity code change and release schedules, it’s essential to have deep visibility into your performance environment. Embrace tooling, but consider these factors impacted by Agile development:
- Can your toolset automatically, and continuously discover, map and diagnose failures in a distributed system without asking you to configure what methods should be monitored? In an Agile team the code base is constantly shifting. If you have to configure method-level monitoring, you’ll spend significant time maintaining tooling, rather than solving problems.
- Can the solution be enabled out of the box under heavy loads? If the overhead of your tooling degrades performance under high loads, it’s ineffective in a performance environment. Don’t let your performance monitoring become your performance problem.
When a vendor recommends you reduce monitoring coverage to support load testing, consider a) the effectiveness of a tool which won’t provide 100% visibility, and b) how much time will be spent consistently reconfiguring monitoring for optimal overhead.
Performance testing within an Agile organization challenges us as engineers to adapt to a high velocity of change. Applying best practices gives us the opportunity to work as part of the development team to proactively identify and diagnose performance defects as code changes are introduced. Because the fastest way to resolve a defect in production is to fix it before it gets there.
Take five minutes to get complete visibility into the performance of your production applications with AppDynamics today.
The post Agile Performance Testing – Proactively Managing Performance written by Steve Sturtevant appeared first on Application Performance Monitoring Blog from AppDynamics.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,050
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Apr. 30, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 666
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
Apr. 30, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,087
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
Apr. 30, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 710
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,053
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,666
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
Apr. 30, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 757
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,710
IoT device adoption is growing at staggering rates, and with it comes opportunity for developers to meet consumer demand for an ever more connected world. Wireless communication is the key part of the encompassing components of any IoT device. Wireless connectivity enhances the device utility at the expense of ease of use and deployment challenges. Since connectivity is fundamental for IoT device development, engineers must understand how to overcome the hurdles inherent in incorporating multipl...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,453
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 664
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,531
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
Apr. 30, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,700
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,294
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,466
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 887
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 892
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 875
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
Apr. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 920
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
Apr. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 716
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Apr. 30, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,556