|By PR Newswire||
|April 24, 2014 06:17 AM EDT||
ABINGDON, England, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
They said that cybercriminals would target...
- your privacy, leading to greater popularity for VPN services and Tor-anonymisers. The number of people turning to the Darknet in an attempt to safeguard their personal data is indeed increasing. But as well as benevolent users, Tor continues to attract dark forces - anonymous networks can conceal malware activity, trading on illegal sites and money laundering. For example, in February, Kaspersky experts detected the first Android Trojan that uses a domain in the .onion pseudo zone as a C&C.
- your money. The experts expected cybercriminals to continue developing tools to steal cash. This was confirmed by the detection of Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.Waller.a in March. It is capable of stealing money from QIWI electronic wallets belonging to the owners of infected smartphones. The Trojan currently only targets Russian users, but it is capable of spreading anywhere where e-wallets are managed using text messages. Cybercriminals also made use of some standard approaches such as spreading Trojans for mobiles that steal money with the help of malicious spam. With these the global reach is much greater - the Faketoken mobile banking Trojan, for example, has affected users in 55 countries, including users in Germany, Sweden, France, Italy, the UK and the US.
* in Q1 the number of mobile banking Trojans almost doubled from 1321 to 2503
- your Bitcoins. The experts expected considerable growth in the number of attacks targeting Bitcoin users' wallets, Bitcoin pools and stock exchanges. In the first three months of the year there were lots of incidents that proved this prediction was correct. Among the more newsworthy were the hack of MtGox, one of the biggest bitcoin exchanges, the hacking of the personal blog and Reddit account of MtGox CEO, Mark Karpeles, and using them to post the MtGox2014Leak.zip, which actually turned out to be malware capable of searching for and stealing Bitcoin wallet files from victims.
In a bid to boost their illicit earnings, cybercriminals infect computers and use their resources to generate more digital currency. Trojan.Win32.Agent.aduro, the twelfth most frequently detected malicious object on the Internet in Q1, is an example of a Trojan used in this type of process.
The Living Dead: the resurrection of cyber-espionage operations
The first quarter also saw a major cyber-espionage incident: in February, Kaspersky Lab published a report on one of the most advanced threats at the current time named 'The Mask'. The main target was confidential information belonging to state agencies, embassies, energy companies, research institutes and private investment companies, as well as activists from 31 countries. According to the researchers, the complexity of the toolset used by the attackers and several other factors suggest this could be a state-sponsored campaign.
"As well as new incidents, we saw the continuation of campaigns that had seemingly already ended. For instance, after cybercriminals had shut down all the known command servers involved in the Icefog operation, we detected a Java version of the threat. The previous attack had primarily targeted organisations in South Korea and Japan, but the new version, judging by the IP addresses tracked, was only interested in US organisations," commented Alexander Gostev, Chief Security Expert, Global Research and Analysis Team.
Q1 in figures
- 33.2 per cent of user computers worldwide were subjected to at least one web-based attack during the past three months - a decrease of 5.9 percentage points compared to the same period last year.
- 39 per cent of neutralised web attacks were carried out using malicious web resources located in the US and Russia; the combined figure for the same two countries was 5 percentage points higher in Q1 2013. They were followed by the Netherlands (10.8 per cent), Germany (10.5 per cent) and the UK (6.3 per cent).
- The proportion of threats targeting Android exceeded 99 per cent of all mobile malware. Mobile malware increased by one per cent over the quarter.
- At the end of 2013, Kaspersky Lab's collection of mobile malware stood at 189,626, but in Q1 of 2014 alone 110,324 new malicious programs were added. By the end of the quarter, there were 299,950 samples in the collection.
The full report is available at securelist.com
About Kaspersky Lab
Kaspersky Lab is the world's largest privately held vendor of endpoint protection solutions. The company is ranked among the world's top four vendors of security solutions for endpoint users*. Throughout its more than 16-year history Kaspersky Lab has remained an innovator in IT security and provides effective digital security solutions for large enterprises, SMBs and consumers. Kaspersky Lab, with its holding company registered in the United Kingdom, currently operates in almost 200 countries and territories across the globe, providing protection for over 300 million users worldwide. Learn more at http://www.kaspersky.com.
* The company was rated fourth in the IDC rating Worldwide Endpoint Security Revenue by Vendor, 2012. The rating was published in the IDC report "Worldwide Endpoint Security 2013-2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares (IDC #242618, August 2013). The report ranked software vendors according to earnings from sales of endpoint security solutions in 2012
SOURCE Kaspersky Lab
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Aug. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,932
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,736
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Aug. 23, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,724
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 23, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,614
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 23, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,779
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 23, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,870
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 23, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,473
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 23, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,490
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 23, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,399
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 23, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,702
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 23, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,987
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 23, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,213
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,023
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,618
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,366
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 23, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,797
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 23, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,566
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 23, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,789
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Aug. 22, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,140
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Aug. 22, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,500