|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Customers across a broad range of geographies and industries are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup and recovery. With the new ZS3 Series for backup, Oracle ZFS Storage ZS3-BA, customers have a pre-configured, pre-racked solution co-engineered with Oracle Database to provide extreme backup and restore performance with superior efficiency to help meet SLAs. In addition to high performance, ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990(1) for Oracle Engineered Systems data protection.
- Spotlighting demand for Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Engineered Systems backup and recovery, Oracle today announced customers across the globe are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Database backup environments.
- Oracle's ZFS Storage business posted strong year-over-year growth in fiscal Q3, demonstrating another quarter of sales momentum for the NAS product portfolio.
- Oracle ZFS Storage delivers unique value for Oracle Database customers with features not available to NetApp and EMC storage, including Oracle Intelligent Storage Protocol (OISP), and Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) with Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression.
- Customers cite the outstanding performance, efficiency, and value of Oracle's unique Application Engineered Storage capabilities achieved through co-engineering Oracle hardware and software:
DB Schenker Rail
"As the leading rail freight company in Europe, DB Schenker Rail requires rapid and reliable access to vast amounts of data. Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance has been the right solution for us, enabling very fast backup and restore times," said Dominic Marx, Head of Business Intelligence Competence Center, DB Schenker Rail. "We've been impressed with high compression rates obtained using Hybrid Columnar Compression with the Oracle Exadata and Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, and the fact that the compression levels are maintained by the ZFS Storage Appliance, so we realize cost and capacity savings on top of high performance."
Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz
"Hospitals have very specific business and IT requirements such as availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance was a natural choice for Oracle Exadata Database Machine backup because of its efficient and large capacity storage, and it is already completely integrated with Oracle Exadata," said Denis da Costa Rodrigues, Manager of Information Technology, Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz. "As part of the solution, we also implemented Oracle Active Data Guard, which further increases our data protection capabilities. The overall Oracle Exadata - ZFS Storage solution has not only improved our ability to deliver high-quality healthcare services, but also provides the high availability, agility and data protection to support our operations."
SunGard Availability Services
"Over the last five or six years, we've seen our data double then triple in size, putting real stress on our infrastructure," said Hal Moretto, Director, Enterprise Infrastructure, SunGard Availability Services. "Using RMAN and Oracle's ZFS Storage Appliance to backup the Oracle Exadata Database Machine, we've been able to create encrypted backups and leverage the InfiniBand connectivity between ZFS and Exadata to improve throughput, as well as replicating the backup to our offsite D/R location to a second ZFS storage appliance via storage replication, making that backup set available for offsite restoration if required."
- Additional customers using Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup, tell their stories here.
Oracle's New ZS3 Series for Backup Complements Engineered Systems Extreme Performance, Helps Reduce Backup and Recovery Risk and Cost Over EMC
- ZS3-BA helps ensure backup and recovery SLAs are met by scaling to 26 TB/hr for full backups and 17 TB/hr for full restores -- a 30 percent increase for backups and 80 percent increase for restores over the previous generation.
- ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990 without the need for additional costly agents, media servers and third-party software required by competitors' systems, and it is available in a HA configuration, unlike EMC Data Domain products.
- ZS3-BA also helps customers meet backup window and recovery time objectives by delivering a fully optimized I/O stack for superior database backup and recovery performance through a massive cache-centric architecture (DRAM and flash), symmetric multiprocessing OS, and technologies such as OISP, Oracle Direct NFS (dNFS), Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA), and InfiniBand.
- ZS3-BA supports Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC), which can compress Oracle Database data by 10-50x, allowing customers to significantly reduce the amount of storage and bandwidth required. In addition, HCC compression is maintained throughout the backup environment and for secondary processing including snaps and clones that can be used natively for development/test/QA. HCC is available only with Oracle storage.
- Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance is the only NAS product with direct InfiniBand connectivity to Oracle engineered systems' own InfiniBand backplanes, allowing customers to leverage the fastest bandwidth available to deliver 40Gb/sec throughput speeds.
- ZS3-BA is pre-configured and pre-racked for engineered systems integration to speed deployment and reduce configuration risk. Oracle's engineered systems backup utility helps further remove installation guesswork to enable rapid and reliable setup.
- "Extremely high speed streaming performance, ease-of-use, and Oracle Database co-engineering give the ZFS Storage Appliance a clear competitive advantage in Oracle engineered systems backup and recovery use cases. Customers worldwide are adopting it as their backup solution of choice," said Scott Tracy, vice president, Storage Software, Oracle. "The new ZS3-BA further extends these capabilities while offering superior TCO for customers with demanding Oracle Database and Engineered Systems data protection requirements."
- Oracle's ZS3-BA
- Engineered Systems Backup Expert Center
- Top Considerations for Engineered System Backup
- Video: Oracle ZS3 Series Storage: Oracle Engineered Systems Backup
- Oracle Engineered Systems
- Oracle Hardware blog, Facebook, Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) Three-year TCO calculated using non-discounted list prices from publicly available data. EMC Data Domain DD990, 12xES30 - 15x2TB SATA 7.2K RPM (source: http://www.ironbow.com/Contracts/ContractVechicles/~/media/Files/PDFs/Contracts/IronBow_CATALOG_IV.pdf) with EMC DD990 Replicator (source: http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11937588-EMC-LREP990.html) and EMC DD990 VTL includes 2 x PCiE cards, DP, DG (source: http://www.emc.com/microsites/stateofmsepl3658/pdf/EPL_Price_List_-_2013-09.pdf)
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US and large in-house IT organizations.
Oct. 30, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,183
SYS-CON Events announces a new pavilion on the Cloud Expo floor where WebRTC converges with the Internet of Things. Pavilion will showcase WebRTC and the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices--computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors – connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades.
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,176
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Whether public, private, or in a hybrid form, clo...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,230
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridsto...
Oct. 30, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,547
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, a...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,063
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP’s Printing and Personal Systems Group, will discuss how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, senso...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,718
The Internet of Things (IoT) is making everything it touches smarter – smart devices, smart cars and smart cities. And lucky us, we’re just beginning to reap the benefits as we work toward a networked society. However, this technology-driven innovation is impacting more than just individuals. The IoT has an environmental impact as well, which brings us to the theme of this month’s #IoTuesday Twitter chat. The ability to remove inefficiencies through connected objects is driving change throughout every sector, including waste management. BigBelly Solar, located just outside of Boston, is trans...
Oct. 30, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,167
Connected devices and the Internet of Things are getting significant momentum in 2014. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine three key elements that together will drive mass adoption of the IoT before the end of 2015. The first element is the recent advent of robust open source protocols (like AllJoyn and WebRTC) that facilitate M2M communication. The second is broad availability of flexible, cost-effective storage designed to handle the massive surge in back-end data in a world where timely analytics...
Oct. 30, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,561
Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley announced on Thursday its first 12 all-star speakers and sessions for its upcoming event, which will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California. @ThingsExpo, the first and largest IoT event in the world, debuted at the Javits Center in New York City in June 10-12, 2014 with over 6,000 delegates attending the conference. Among the first 12 announced world class speakers, IBM will present two highly popular IoT sessions, which will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, Calif...
Oct. 30, 2014 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,262
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., will show what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He will discuss opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and tec...
Oct. 29, 2014 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,523
SYS-CON Events announced today that TeleStax, the main sponsor of Mobicents, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TeleStax provides Open Source Communications software and services that facilitate the shift from legacy SS7 based IN networks to IP based LTE and IMS networks hosted on private (on-premise), hybrid or public clouds. TeleStax products include Restcomm, JSLEE, SMSC Gateway, USSD Gateway, SS7 Resource Adaptors, SIP Servlets, Rich Multimedia Services, Presence Services/RCS, Diame...
Oct. 29, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,632
From a software development perspective IoT is about programming "things," about connecting them with each other or integrating them with existing applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Yakov Fain, co-founder of Farata Systems and SuranceBay, will show you how small IoT-enabled devices from multiple manufacturers can be integrated into the workflow of an enterprise application. This is a practical demo of building a framework and components in HTML/Java/Mobile technologies to serve as a platform that can integrate new devices as they become available on the market.
Oct. 29, 2014 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,063
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An...
Oct. 29, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,602
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Oct. 29, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,049
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue business and deliver exceptional experiences to their customers.
Oct. 29, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,117
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce the value of the network in helping organizations to maximize their company’s cloud experience.
Oct. 29, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,079
As a disruptive technology, Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC), which is an emerging standard of web communications, is redefining how brands and consumers communicate in real time. The on-going narrative around WebRTC has largely been around incorporating video, audio and chat functions to apps. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Alex Gouaillard, Founder and CTO of Temasys Communications, will look at a fourth element – data channels – and talk about its potential to move WebRTC beyond browsers and into the Internet of Things.
Oct. 29, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,640
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gigaom Research has been named "Media Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, will also lead a Power Panel on the topic "Choosing the Right Cloud Option." Gigaom Research provides timely, in-depth analysis of emerging technologies for individual and corporate subscribers. Gigaom Research's network of 200+ independent analysts provides new content daily that bridges the gap between break...
Oct. 28, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,669
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Oct. 28, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,605
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Oct. 28, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,951