|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Customers across a broad range of geographies and industries are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup and recovery. With the new ZS3 Series for backup, Oracle ZFS Storage ZS3-BA, customers have a pre-configured, pre-racked solution co-engineered with Oracle Database to provide extreme backup and restore performance with superior efficiency to help meet SLAs. In addition to high performance, ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990(1) for Oracle Engineered Systems data protection.
- Spotlighting demand for Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Engineered Systems backup and recovery, Oracle today announced customers across the globe are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Database backup environments.
- Oracle's ZFS Storage business posted strong year-over-year growth in fiscal Q3, demonstrating another quarter of sales momentum for the NAS product portfolio.
- Oracle ZFS Storage delivers unique value for Oracle Database customers with features not available to NetApp and EMC storage, including Oracle Intelligent Storage Protocol (OISP), and Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) with Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression.
- Customers cite the outstanding performance, efficiency, and value of Oracle's unique Application Engineered Storage capabilities achieved through co-engineering Oracle hardware and software:
DB Schenker Rail
"As the leading rail freight company in Europe, DB Schenker Rail requires rapid and reliable access to vast amounts of data. Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance has been the right solution for us, enabling very fast backup and restore times," said Dominic Marx, Head of Business Intelligence Competence Center, DB Schenker Rail. "We've been impressed with high compression rates obtained using Hybrid Columnar Compression with the Oracle Exadata and Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, and the fact that the compression levels are maintained by the ZFS Storage Appliance, so we realize cost and capacity savings on top of high performance."
Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz
"Hospitals have very specific business and IT requirements such as availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance was a natural choice for Oracle Exadata Database Machine backup because of its efficient and large capacity storage, and it is already completely integrated with Oracle Exadata," said Denis da Costa Rodrigues, Manager of Information Technology, Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz. "As part of the solution, we also implemented Oracle Active Data Guard, which further increases our data protection capabilities. The overall Oracle Exadata - ZFS Storage solution has not only improved our ability to deliver high-quality healthcare services, but also provides the high availability, agility and data protection to support our operations."
SunGard Availability Services
"Over the last five or six years, we've seen our data double then triple in size, putting real stress on our infrastructure," said Hal Moretto, Director, Enterprise Infrastructure, SunGard Availability Services. "Using RMAN and Oracle's ZFS Storage Appliance to backup the Oracle Exadata Database Machine, we've been able to create encrypted backups and leverage the InfiniBand connectivity between ZFS and Exadata to improve throughput, as well as replicating the backup to our offsite D/R location to a second ZFS storage appliance via storage replication, making that backup set available for offsite restoration if required."
- Additional customers using Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup, tell their stories here.
Oracle's New ZS3 Series for Backup Complements Engineered Systems Extreme Performance, Helps Reduce Backup and Recovery Risk and Cost Over EMC
- ZS3-BA helps ensure backup and recovery SLAs are met by scaling to 26 TB/hr for full backups and 17 TB/hr for full restores -- a 30 percent increase for backups and 80 percent increase for restores over the previous generation.
- ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990 without the need for additional costly agents, media servers and third-party software required by competitors' systems, and it is available in a HA configuration, unlike EMC Data Domain products.
- ZS3-BA also helps customers meet backup window and recovery time objectives by delivering a fully optimized I/O stack for superior database backup and recovery performance through a massive cache-centric architecture (DRAM and flash), symmetric multiprocessing OS, and technologies such as OISP, Oracle Direct NFS (dNFS), Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA), and InfiniBand.
- ZS3-BA supports Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC), which can compress Oracle Database data by 10-50x, allowing customers to significantly reduce the amount of storage and bandwidth required. In addition, HCC compression is maintained throughout the backup environment and for secondary processing including snaps and clones that can be used natively for development/test/QA. HCC is available only with Oracle storage.
- Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance is the only NAS product with direct InfiniBand connectivity to Oracle engineered systems' own InfiniBand backplanes, allowing customers to leverage the fastest bandwidth available to deliver 40Gb/sec throughput speeds.
- ZS3-BA is pre-configured and pre-racked for engineered systems integration to speed deployment and reduce configuration risk. Oracle's engineered systems backup utility helps further remove installation guesswork to enable rapid and reliable setup.
- "Extremely high speed streaming performance, ease-of-use, and Oracle Database co-engineering give the ZFS Storage Appliance a clear competitive advantage in Oracle engineered systems backup and recovery use cases. Customers worldwide are adopting it as their backup solution of choice," said Scott Tracy, vice president, Storage Software, Oracle. "The new ZS3-BA further extends these capabilities while offering superior TCO for customers with demanding Oracle Database and Engineered Systems data protection requirements."
- Oracle's ZS3-BA
- Engineered Systems Backup Expert Center
- Top Considerations for Engineered System Backup
- Video: Oracle ZS3 Series Storage: Oracle Engineered Systems Backup
- Oracle Engineered Systems
- Oracle Hardware blog, Facebook, Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) Three-year TCO calculated using non-discounted list prices from publicly available data. EMC Data Domain DD990, 12xES30 - 15x2TB SATA 7.2K RPM (source: http://www.ironbow.com/Contracts/ContractVechicles/~/media/Files/PDFs/Contracts/IronBow_CATALOG_IV.pdf) with EMC DD990 Replicator (source: http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11937588-EMC-LREP990.html) and EMC DD990 VTL includes 2 x PCiE cards, DP, DG (source: http://www.emc.com/microsites/stateofmsepl3658/pdf/EPL_Price_List_-_2013-09.pdf)
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 4, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,129
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 4, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 775
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, will discuss how leveraging the Industrial Interne...
May. 3, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,292
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 3, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,207
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, will explain how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
May. 3, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,212
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 3, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,324
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
May. 3, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 345
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 3, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,283
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 3, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,206
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 3, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,056
trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vice president of product management, IoT solutions at GlobalSign, will teach IoT developers how t...
May. 3, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 336
A critical component of any IoT project is the back-end systems that capture data from remote IoT devices and structure it in a way to answer useful questions. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle large data sets, but they are not well suited to many IoT-scale products and the need for real-time insights. At Fuze, we have developed a backend platform as part of our mobility-oriented cloud service that uses Big Data-based approache...
May. 3, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 345
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 3, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,184
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 3, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 954
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 3, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,177
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 3, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,593
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 3, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,372
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 3, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,459
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 3, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,112
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
May. 2, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,697