|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Customers across a broad range of geographies and industries are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup and recovery. With the new ZS3 Series for backup, Oracle ZFS Storage ZS3-BA, customers have a pre-configured, pre-racked solution co-engineered with Oracle Database to provide extreme backup and restore performance with superior efficiency to help meet SLAs. In addition to high performance, ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990(1) for Oracle Engineered Systems data protection.
- Spotlighting demand for Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Engineered Systems backup and recovery, Oracle today announced customers across the globe are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Database backup environments.
- Oracle's ZFS Storage business posted strong year-over-year growth in fiscal Q3, demonstrating another quarter of sales momentum for the NAS product portfolio.
- Oracle ZFS Storage delivers unique value for Oracle Database customers with features not available to NetApp and EMC storage, including Oracle Intelligent Storage Protocol (OISP), and Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) with Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression.
- Customers cite the outstanding performance, efficiency, and value of Oracle's unique Application Engineered Storage capabilities achieved through co-engineering Oracle hardware and software:
DB Schenker Rail
"As the leading rail freight company in Europe, DB Schenker Rail requires rapid and reliable access to vast amounts of data. Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance has been the right solution for us, enabling very fast backup and restore times," said Dominic Marx, Head of Business Intelligence Competence Center, DB Schenker Rail. "We've been impressed with high compression rates obtained using Hybrid Columnar Compression with the Oracle Exadata and Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, and the fact that the compression levels are maintained by the ZFS Storage Appliance, so we realize cost and capacity savings on top of high performance."
Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz
"Hospitals have very specific business and IT requirements such as availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance was a natural choice for Oracle Exadata Database Machine backup because of its efficient and large capacity storage, and it is already completely integrated with Oracle Exadata," said Denis da Costa Rodrigues, Manager of Information Technology, Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz. "As part of the solution, we also implemented Oracle Active Data Guard, which further increases our data protection capabilities. The overall Oracle Exadata - ZFS Storage solution has not only improved our ability to deliver high-quality healthcare services, but also provides the high availability, agility and data protection to support our operations."
SunGard Availability Services
"Over the last five or six years, we've seen our data double then triple in size, putting real stress on our infrastructure," said Hal Moretto, Director, Enterprise Infrastructure, SunGard Availability Services. "Using RMAN and Oracle's ZFS Storage Appliance to backup the Oracle Exadata Database Machine, we've been able to create encrypted backups and leverage the InfiniBand connectivity between ZFS and Exadata to improve throughput, as well as replicating the backup to our offsite D/R location to a second ZFS storage appliance via storage replication, making that backup set available for offsite restoration if required."
- Additional customers using Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup, tell their stories here.
Oracle's New ZS3 Series for Backup Complements Engineered Systems Extreme Performance, Helps Reduce Backup and Recovery Risk and Cost Over EMC
- ZS3-BA helps ensure backup and recovery SLAs are met by scaling to 26 TB/hr for full backups and 17 TB/hr for full restores -- a 30 percent increase for backups and 80 percent increase for restores over the previous generation.
- ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990 without the need for additional costly agents, media servers and third-party software required by competitors' systems, and it is available in a HA configuration, unlike EMC Data Domain products.
- ZS3-BA also helps customers meet backup window and recovery time objectives by delivering a fully optimized I/O stack for superior database backup and recovery performance through a massive cache-centric architecture (DRAM and flash), symmetric multiprocessing OS, and technologies such as OISP, Oracle Direct NFS (dNFS), Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA), and InfiniBand.
- ZS3-BA supports Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC), which can compress Oracle Database data by 10-50x, allowing customers to significantly reduce the amount of storage and bandwidth required. In addition, HCC compression is maintained throughout the backup environment and for secondary processing including snaps and clones that can be used natively for development/test/QA. HCC is available only with Oracle storage.
- Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance is the only NAS product with direct InfiniBand connectivity to Oracle engineered systems' own InfiniBand backplanes, allowing customers to leverage the fastest bandwidth available to deliver 40Gb/sec throughput speeds.
- ZS3-BA is pre-configured and pre-racked for engineered systems integration to speed deployment and reduce configuration risk. Oracle's engineered systems backup utility helps further remove installation guesswork to enable rapid and reliable setup.
- "Extremely high speed streaming performance, ease-of-use, and Oracle Database co-engineering give the ZFS Storage Appliance a clear competitive advantage in Oracle engineered systems backup and recovery use cases. Customers worldwide are adopting it as their backup solution of choice," said Scott Tracy, vice president, Storage Software, Oracle. "The new ZS3-BA further extends these capabilities while offering superior TCO for customers with demanding Oracle Database and Engineered Systems data protection requirements."
- Oracle's ZS3-BA
- Engineered Systems Backup Expert Center
- Top Considerations for Engineered System Backup
- Video: Oracle ZS3 Series Storage: Oracle Engineered Systems Backup
- Oracle Engineered Systems
- Oracle Hardware blog, Facebook, Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) Three-year TCO calculated using non-discounted list prices from publicly available data. EMC Data Domain DD990, 12xES30 - 15x2TB SATA 7.2K RPM (source: http://www.ironbow.com/Contracts/ContractVechicles/~/media/Files/PDFs/Contracts/IronBow_CATALOG_IV.pdf) with EMC DD990 Replicator (source: http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11937588-EMC-LREP990.html) and EMC DD990 VTL includes 2 x PCiE cards, DP, DG (source: http://www.emc.com/microsites/stateofmsepl3658/pdf/EPL_Price_List_-_2013-09.pdf)
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducted a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply wit...
Jul. 31, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 304
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,401
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Jul. 30, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 455
MuleSoft has announced the findings of its 2015 Connectivity Benchmark Report on the adoption and business impact of APIs. The findings suggest traditional businesses are quickly evolving into "composable enterprises" built out of hundreds of connected software services, applications and devices. Most are embracing the Internet of Things (IoT) and microservices technologies like Docker. A majority are integrating wearables, like smart watches, and more than half plan to generate revenue with APIs within the next year.
Jul. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 106
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Jul. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 273
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jul. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,060
In his keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Rodney Rogers, CEO of Virtustream, discussed the evolution of the company from inception to its recent acquisition by EMC – including personal insights, lessons learned (and some WTF moments) along the way. Learn how Virtustream’s unique approach of combining the economics and elasticity of the consumer cloud model with proper performance, application automation and security into a platform became a breakout success with enterprise customers and a natural fit for the EMC Federation.
Jul. 30, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,162
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jul. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,273
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect their organization.
Jul. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,185
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world and it starts with business models and monetization strategies.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,765
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, discussed IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will share what businesses must do to thrive in the IoE economy, citing examples from several industry sectors.
Jul. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,042
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,030
Akana has released Envision, an enhanced API analytics platform that helps enterprises mine critical insights across their digital eco-systems, understand their customers and partners and offer value-added personalized services. “In today’s digital economy, data-driven insights are proving to be a key differentiator for businesses. Understanding the data that is being tunneled through their APIs and how it can be used to optimize their business and operations is of paramount importance,” said Alistair Farquharson, CTO of Akana.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 324
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a "Make or Buy" decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud business applications and services across multiple cloud delivery models.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,904
The enterprise market will drive IoT device adoption over the next five years. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Greenough, an analyst at BI Intelligence, division of Business Insider, analyzed how companies will adopt IoT products and the associated cost of adopting those products. John Greenough is the lead analyst covering the Internet of Things for BI Intelligence- Business Insider’s paid research service. Numerous IoT companies have cited his analysis of the IoT. Prior to joining BI Intelligence, he worked analyzing bank technology for Corporate Insight and The Clearing House Payment...
Jul. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,574
"Optimal Design is a technology integration and product development firm that specializes in connecting devices to the cloud," stated Joe Wascow, Co-Founder & CMO of Optimal Design, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 392
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unp...
Jul. 25, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,959
Electric Cloud and Arynga have announced a product integration partnership that will bring Continuous Delivery solutions to the automotive Internet-of-Things (IoT) market. The joint solution will help automotive manufacturers, OEMs and system integrators adopt DevOps automation and Continuous Delivery practices that reduce software build and release cycle times within the complex and specific parameters of embedded and IoT software systems.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 462
"ciqada is a combined platform of hardware modules and server products that lets people take their existing devices or new devices and lets them be accessible over the Internet for their users," noted Geoff Engelstein of ciqada, a division of Mars International, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,538
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,491