|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Customers across a broad range of geographies and industries are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup and recovery. With the new ZS3 Series for backup, Oracle ZFS Storage ZS3-BA, customers have a pre-configured, pre-racked solution co-engineered with Oracle Database to provide extreme backup and restore performance with superior efficiency to help meet SLAs. In addition to high performance, ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990(1) for Oracle Engineered Systems data protection.
- Spotlighting demand for Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Engineered Systems backup and recovery, Oracle today announced customers across the globe are adopting Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Database backup environments.
- Oracle's ZFS Storage business posted strong year-over-year growth in fiscal Q3, demonstrating another quarter of sales momentum for the NAS product portfolio.
- Oracle ZFS Storage delivers unique value for Oracle Database customers with features not available to NetApp and EMC storage, including Oracle Intelligent Storage Protocol (OISP), and Automatic Data Optimization (ADO) with Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression.
- Customers cite the outstanding performance, efficiency, and value of Oracle's unique Application Engineered Storage capabilities achieved through co-engineering Oracle hardware and software:
DB Schenker Rail
"As the leading rail freight company in Europe, DB Schenker Rail requires rapid and reliable access to vast amounts of data. Oracle Exadata Database Machine and the Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance has been the right solution for us, enabling very fast backup and restore times," said Dominic Marx, Head of Business Intelligence Competence Center, DB Schenker Rail. "We've been impressed with high compression rates obtained using Hybrid Columnar Compression with the Oracle Exadata and Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, and the fact that the compression levels are maintained by the ZFS Storage Appliance, so we realize cost and capacity savings on top of high performance."
Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz
"Hospitals have very specific business and IT requirements such as availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance was a natural choice for Oracle Exadata Database Machine backup because of its efficient and large capacity storage, and it is already completely integrated with Oracle Exadata," said Denis da Costa Rodrigues, Manager of Information Technology, Hospital Alemão Oswaldo Cruz. "As part of the solution, we also implemented Oracle Active Data Guard, which further increases our data protection capabilities. The overall Oracle Exadata - ZFS Storage solution has not only improved our ability to deliver high-quality healthcare services, but also provides the high availability, agility and data protection to support our operations."
SunGard Availability Services
"Over the last five or six years, we've seen our data double then triple in size, putting real stress on our infrastructure," said Hal Moretto, Director, Enterprise Infrastructure, SunGard Availability Services. "Using RMAN and Oracle's ZFS Storage Appliance to backup the Oracle Exadata Database Machine, we've been able to create encrypted backups and leverage the InfiniBand connectivity between ZFS and Exadata to improve throughput, as well as replicating the backup to our offsite D/R location to a second ZFS storage appliance via storage replication, making that backup set available for offsite restoration if required."
- Additional customers using Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances for Oracle Engineered Systems backup, tell their stories here.
Oracle's New ZS3 Series for Backup Complements Engineered Systems Extreme Performance, Helps Reduce Backup and Recovery Risk and Cost Over EMC
- ZS3-BA helps ensure backup and recovery SLAs are met by scaling to 26 TB/hr for full backups and 17 TB/hr for full restores -- a 30 percent increase for backups and 80 percent increase for restores over the previous generation.
- ZS3-BA offers 5x lower three-year TCO over EMC Data Domain 990 without the need for additional costly agents, media servers and third-party software required by competitors' systems, and it is available in a HA configuration, unlike EMC Data Domain products.
- ZS3-BA also helps customers meet backup window and recovery time objectives by delivering a fully optimized I/O stack for superior database backup and recovery performance through a massive cache-centric architecture (DRAM and flash), symmetric multiprocessing OS, and technologies such as OISP, Oracle Direct NFS (dNFS), Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA), and InfiniBand.
- ZS3-BA supports Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC), which can compress Oracle Database data by 10-50x, allowing customers to significantly reduce the amount of storage and bandwidth required. In addition, HCC compression is maintained throughout the backup environment and for secondary processing including snaps and clones that can be used natively for development/test/QA. HCC is available only with Oracle storage.
- Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance is the only NAS product with direct InfiniBand connectivity to Oracle engineered systems' own InfiniBand backplanes, allowing customers to leverage the fastest bandwidth available to deliver 40Gb/sec throughput speeds.
- ZS3-BA is pre-configured and pre-racked for engineered systems integration to speed deployment and reduce configuration risk. Oracle's engineered systems backup utility helps further remove installation guesswork to enable rapid and reliable setup.
- "Extremely high speed streaming performance, ease-of-use, and Oracle Database co-engineering give the ZFS Storage Appliance a clear competitive advantage in Oracle engineered systems backup and recovery use cases. Customers worldwide are adopting it as their backup solution of choice," said Scott Tracy, vice president, Storage Software, Oracle. "The new ZS3-BA further extends these capabilities while offering superior TCO for customers with demanding Oracle Database and Engineered Systems data protection requirements."
- Oracle's ZS3-BA
- Engineered Systems Backup Expert Center
- Top Considerations for Engineered System Backup
- Video: Oracle ZS3 Series Storage: Oracle Engineered Systems Backup
- Oracle Engineered Systems
- Oracle Hardware blog, Facebook, Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) Three-year TCO calculated using non-discounted list prices from publicly available data. EMC Data Domain DD990, 12xES30 - 15x2TB SATA 7.2K RPM (source: http://www.ironbow.com/Contracts/ContractVechicles/~/media/Files/PDFs/Contracts/IronBow_CATALOG_IV.pdf) with EMC DD990 Replicator (source: http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/11937588-EMC-LREP990.html) and EMC DD990 VTL includes 2 x PCiE cards, DP, DG (source: http://www.emc.com/microsites/stateofmsepl3658/pdf/EPL_Price_List_-_2013-09.pdf)
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Sep. 4, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 443
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and analyzed? As an area of investment, how might a retail company move towards an innovation methodolo...
Sep. 4, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 530
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as soon as they are needed to take action.
Sep. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT
Manufacturing connected IoT versions of traditional products requires more than multiple deep technology skills. It also requires a shift in mindset, to realize that connected, sensor-enabled “things” act more like services than what we usually think of as products. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks, will discuss how when sensors start generating detailed real-world data about products and how they’re being used, smart manufacturers can use the data to create additional revenue streams, such as improved warranties or premium features. Or slash...
Sep. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing these ideas and some early experiments performed in the Kurento open source software community in areas ...
Sep. 4, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 144
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sep. 4, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 979
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 4, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 227
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 271
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be.
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 233
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 4, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 121
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts, GM of Platform at FinancialForce.com, will discuss the value of business applications on wearable ...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 110
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 503
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 297
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Sep. 4, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 402
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
Sep. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,618
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on demos and comprehensive walkthroughs.
Sep. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 433
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 4, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 666
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Sep. 4, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 337
Containers are not new, but renewed commitments to performance, flexibility, and agility have propelled them to the top of the agenda today. By working without the need for virtualization and its overhead, containers are seen as the perfect way to deploy apps and services across multiple clouds. Containers can handle anything from file types to operating systems and services, including microservices. What are microservices? Unlike what the name implies, microservices are not necessarily small, but are focused on specific tasks. The ability for developers to deploy multiple containers – thous...
Sep. 4, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 218
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Sep. 4, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,050