|By Marketwired .||
|May 8, 2014 08:02 AM EDT||
SAN ANTONIO, TX -- (Marketwired) -- 05/08/14 -- CS Week -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Innovative utilities, such as Orlando Utilities Commission, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and We Energies, have just completed upgrades of or deployed Oracle solutions to enhance customer service and improve operational efficiency.
- Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC), a municipally-owned public utility providing water and electric service to 240,000 customers in the City of Orlando, Fla. and adjoining Orange County areas, deployed Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway and saved nearly $2.9 million in operating costs in the first six months, which OUC passed on to its customers in the form of two rate reductions. OUC achieved its results by using the solution to automate and speed customer interactions (i.e. start or stop service) and provide its customers with information about their electric and water usage. OUC now operates one of the nation's first real-time, meter-to-cash and customer connection programs utilizing a fully automated meter data management infrastructure that delivers an optimized customer experience. OUC purchased Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway on August 22, 2012.
- Rappahannock Electric Cooperative, a member-owned utility servicing more than 158,000 connections in 22 Virginia counties, recently upgraded to Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing 2.4, helping it to quickly modify rate structures without cumbersome coding changes. The upgraded Oracle solution includes a flexible rating engine that enables Rappahannock Electric Cooperative users to input rate changes directly, without IT assistance, saving valuable time and improving productivity as the utility works to bring all its customers under a new rate schedule. Rappahannock Electric Cooperative purchased Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing licenses from SPL WorldGroup on June 1, 2006, and upgraded to the latest version on February 11, 2014.
- We Energies -- which provides electric, gas and steam services to customers in Wisconsin and Michigan -- deployed the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service to improve its meter-to-bill processes by reducing costs and delays in identifying and adjusting bills caused by defective devices. Integrated with the utility's existing work management system, the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service enables We Energies to identify and route some highly targeted meter/billing exceptions directly to field service technicians, thereby saving valuable time in back office review by billers. As a result, We Energies reduced the break-to-fix time on some of these exceptions by up to 90 days and significantly improved its on-time delivery and accuracy of bills. Additionally, with Oracle's analtyics solution in place, We Energies reduced several meter and billing exception work queues anywhere from 48% to 90% and is achieving significant cost savings by automating historically manual review processes. We Energies purchased the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service on March 25, 2009.
- Orlando Utilities Commission and We Energies received 2014 Expanding Excellence Awards on May 7, 2014, during the CS Week Conference. The Expanding Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding contributions, innovations and excellence in utility customer service.
- Orlando Utilities Commission received the "Implementation of the Year" Award for its Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway deployment, and We Energies received the "Innovation in Customer Service" Award for its use of Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service.
- "We chose the Oracle solution because it is proven to be the best of breed, turnkey solution, and it allowed us to accelerate our advanced metering infrastructure deployment and to realize the return on the investment much sooner. We now provide customers with greater control of their consumption, more convenient ways to interact with us and new self-service options which are in line with what they have come to expect from their banks, phone and cable providers," said Jerry Sullivan, CIO, Orlando Utilities Commission.
- "We upgraded to Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing 2.4 to enable us to input rate changes quickly and efficiently. The solution's new rate engine enables us to easily restructure our rates to better accommodate customers' unique needs," said Kris Sieber, director, Member Services, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative.
- "Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service is flexible and enables us to meet our goals of improving our meter-to-bill process efficiency and has resulted in significant savings from reduced billing exceptions," said Joan Shafer, senior vice president, Customer Service, We Energies.
- "Oracle provides the complete solution suite to help electric, gas and water utilities address today's challenges -- including operational efficiency and customer satisfaction -- head on. The continued investments from utilities such as Orlando Utilities Commission, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and We Energies demonstrate Oracle Utilities' commitment to providing innovative solutions to help utilities thrive in 2014 and beyond," said Rodger Smith, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Utilities.
- Oracle Utilities
- Oracle Utilities on Facebook
- Oracle Utilities on Twitter
- Oracle Utilities on LinkedIn
- Oracle Utilities YouTube Channel
- Oracle Utilities on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Sep. 29, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 489
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Sep. 29, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,159
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 29, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,588
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 29, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,055
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 29, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,301
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Sep. 28, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,955
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Sep. 28, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 365
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,716
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 354
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,630
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,154
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,124
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 311
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,777
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 272
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 266
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,726
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,822
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,319
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 405