|By Marketwired .||
|May 8, 2014 08:02 AM EDT||
SAN ANTONIO, TX -- (Marketwired) -- 05/08/14 -- CS Week -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Innovative utilities, such as Orlando Utilities Commission, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and We Energies, have just completed upgrades of or deployed Oracle solutions to enhance customer service and improve operational efficiency.
- Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC), a municipally-owned public utility providing water and electric service to 240,000 customers in the City of Orlando, Fla. and adjoining Orange County areas, deployed Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway and saved nearly $2.9 million in operating costs in the first six months, which OUC passed on to its customers in the form of two rate reductions. OUC achieved its results by using the solution to automate and speed customer interactions (i.e. start or stop service) and provide its customers with information about their electric and water usage. OUC now operates one of the nation's first real-time, meter-to-cash and customer connection programs utilizing a fully automated meter data management infrastructure that delivers an optimized customer experience. OUC purchased Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway on August 22, 2012.
- Rappahannock Electric Cooperative, a member-owned utility servicing more than 158,000 connections in 22 Virginia counties, recently upgraded to Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing 2.4, helping it to quickly modify rate structures without cumbersome coding changes. The upgraded Oracle solution includes a flexible rating engine that enables Rappahannock Electric Cooperative users to input rate changes directly, without IT assistance, saving valuable time and improving productivity as the utility works to bring all its customers under a new rate schedule. Rappahannock Electric Cooperative purchased Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing licenses from SPL WorldGroup on June 1, 2006, and upgraded to the latest version on February 11, 2014.
- We Energies -- which provides electric, gas and steam services to customers in Wisconsin and Michigan -- deployed the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service to improve its meter-to-bill processes by reducing costs and delays in identifying and adjusting bills caused by defective devices. Integrated with the utility's existing work management system, the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service enables We Energies to identify and route some highly targeted meter/billing exceptions directly to field service technicians, thereby saving valuable time in back office review by billers. As a result, We Energies reduced the break-to-fix time on some of these exceptions by up to 90 days and significantly improved its on-time delivery and accuracy of bills. Additionally, with Oracle's analtyics solution in place, We Energies reduced several meter and billing exception work queues anywhere from 48% to 90% and is achieving significant cost savings by automating historically manual review processes. We Energies purchased the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service on March 25, 2009.
- Orlando Utilities Commission and We Energies received 2014 Expanding Excellence Awards on May 7, 2014, during the CS Week Conference. The Expanding Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding contributions, innovations and excellence in utility customer service.
- Orlando Utilities Commission received the "Implementation of the Year" Award for its Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway deployment, and We Energies received the "Innovation in Customer Service" Award for its use of Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service.
- "We chose the Oracle solution because it is proven to be the best of breed, turnkey solution, and it allowed us to accelerate our advanced metering infrastructure deployment and to realize the return on the investment much sooner. We now provide customers with greater control of their consumption, more convenient ways to interact with us and new self-service options which are in line with what they have come to expect from their banks, phone and cable providers," said Jerry Sullivan, CIO, Orlando Utilities Commission.
- "We upgraded to Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing 2.4 to enable us to input rate changes quickly and efficiently. The solution's new rate engine enables us to easily restructure our rates to better accommodate customers' unique needs," said Kris Sieber, director, Member Services, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative.
- "Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service is flexible and enables us to meet our goals of improving our meter-to-bill process efficiency and has resulted in significant savings from reduced billing exceptions," said Joan Shafer, senior vice president, Customer Service, We Energies.
- "Oracle provides the complete solution suite to help electric, gas and water utilities address today's challenges -- including operational efficiency and customer satisfaction -- head on. The continued investments from utilities such as Orlando Utilities Commission, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and We Energies demonstrate Oracle Utilities' commitment to providing innovative solutions to help utilities thrive in 2014 and beyond," said Rodger Smith, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Utilities.
- Oracle Utilities
- Oracle Utilities on Facebook
- Oracle Utilities on Twitter
- Oracle Utilities on LinkedIn
- Oracle Utilities YouTube Channel
- Oracle Utilities on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 972
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 731
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,057
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 365
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,305
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,542
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 587
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 901
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,159
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,110
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 585
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,219
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,099
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 786
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,179
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,413
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 24, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 963
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,153
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,334
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,228