|By Marketwired .||
|May 8, 2014 08:02 AM EDT||
SAN ANTONIO, TX -- (Marketwired) -- 05/08/14 -- CS Week -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Innovative utilities, such as Orlando Utilities Commission, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and We Energies, have just completed upgrades of or deployed Oracle solutions to enhance customer service and improve operational efficiency.
- Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC), a municipally-owned public utility providing water and electric service to 240,000 customers in the City of Orlando, Fla. and adjoining Orange County areas, deployed Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway and saved nearly $2.9 million in operating costs in the first six months, which OUC passed on to its customers in the form of two rate reductions. OUC achieved its results by using the solution to automate and speed customer interactions (i.e. start or stop service) and provide its customers with information about their electric and water usage. OUC now operates one of the nation's first real-time, meter-to-cash and customer connection programs utilizing a fully automated meter data management infrastructure that delivers an optimized customer experience. OUC purchased Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway on August 22, 2012.
- Rappahannock Electric Cooperative, a member-owned utility servicing more than 158,000 connections in 22 Virginia counties, recently upgraded to Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing 2.4, helping it to quickly modify rate structures without cumbersome coding changes. The upgraded Oracle solution includes a flexible rating engine that enables Rappahannock Electric Cooperative users to input rate changes directly, without IT assistance, saving valuable time and improving productivity as the utility works to bring all its customers under a new rate schedule. Rappahannock Electric Cooperative purchased Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing licenses from SPL WorldGroup on June 1, 2006, and upgraded to the latest version on February 11, 2014.
- We Energies -- which provides electric, gas and steam services to customers in Wisconsin and Michigan -- deployed the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service to improve its meter-to-bill processes by reducing costs and delays in identifying and adjusting bills caused by defective devices. Integrated with the utility's existing work management system, the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service enables We Energies to identify and route some highly targeted meter/billing exceptions directly to field service technicians, thereby saving valuable time in back office review by billers. As a result, We Energies reduced the break-to-fix time on some of these exceptions by up to 90 days and significantly improved its on-time delivery and accuracy of bills. Additionally, with Oracle's analtyics solution in place, We Energies reduced several meter and billing exception work queues anywhere from 48% to 90% and is achieving significant cost savings by automating historically manual review processes. We Energies purchased the Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service on March 25, 2009.
- Orlando Utilities Commission and We Energies received 2014 Expanding Excellence Awards on May 7, 2014, during the CS Week Conference. The Expanding Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding contributions, innovations and excellence in utility customer service.
- Orlando Utilities Commission received the "Implementation of the Year" Award for its Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management and Oracle Utilities Smart Grid Gateway deployment, and We Energies received the "Innovation in Customer Service" Award for its use of Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service.
- "We chose the Oracle solution because it is proven to be the best of breed, turnkey solution, and it allowed us to accelerate our advanced metering infrastructure deployment and to realize the return on the investment much sooner. We now provide customers with greater control of their consumption, more convenient ways to interact with us and new self-service options which are in line with what they have come to expect from their banks, phone and cable providers," said Jerry Sullivan, CIO, Orlando Utilities Commission.
- "We upgraded to Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing 2.4 to enable us to input rate changes quickly and efficiently. The solution's new rate engine enables us to easily restructure our rates to better accommodate customers' unique needs," said Kris Sieber, director, Member Services, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative.
- "Oracle Utilities Advanced Analytics Cloud Service is flexible and enables us to meet our goals of improving our meter-to-bill process efficiency and has resulted in significant savings from reduced billing exceptions," said Joan Shafer, senior vice president, Customer Service, We Energies.
- "Oracle provides the complete solution suite to help electric, gas and water utilities address today's challenges -- including operational efficiency and customer satisfaction -- head on. The continued investments from utilities such as Orlando Utilities Commission, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and We Energies demonstrate Oracle Utilities' commitment to providing innovative solutions to help utilities thrive in 2014 and beyond," said Rodger Smith, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Utilities.
- Oracle Utilities
- Oracle Utilities on Facebook
- Oracle Utilities on Twitter
- Oracle Utilities on LinkedIn
- Oracle Utilities YouTube Channel
- Oracle Utilities on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 372
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 142
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 559
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 364
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 346
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 7, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 348
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 7, 2016 10:15 AM EST Reads: 117
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 7, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 124
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 721
Most people haven’t heard the word, “gamification,” even though they probably, and perhaps unwittingly, participate in it every day. Gamification is “the process of adding games or game-like elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.” Further, gamification is about bringing game mechanics – rules, constructs, processes, and methods – into the real world in an effort to engage people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Endo, owner and engagement manager of Intrepid D...
Feb. 5, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 787
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 2, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 413
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Feb. 2, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 852
Learn how IoT, cloud, social networks and last but not least, humans, can be integrated into a seamless integration of cooperative organisms both cybernetic and biological. This has been enabled by recent advances in IoT device capabilities, messaging frameworks, presence and collaboration services, where devices can share information and make independent and human assisted decisions based upon social status from other entities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Heydt, founder of Seamless...
Feb. 1, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 941
The IoT's basic concept of collecting data from as many sources possible to drive better decision making, create process innovation and realize additional revenue has been in use at large enterprises with deep pockets for decades. So what has changed? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Prasanna Sivaramakrishnan, Solutions Architect at Red Hat, discussed the impact commodity hardware, ubiquitous connectivity, and innovations in open source software are having on the connected universe of people, thi...
Jan. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 727
WebRTC: together these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Cary Bran, VP of Innovation and New Ventures at Plantronics and PLT Labs, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it may enable, complement or entirely transform.
Jan. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 1,147
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, showed how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants received the download information, scripts, and complete end-t...
Jan. 31, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,221
For manufacturers, the Internet of Things (IoT) represents a jumping-off point for innovation, jobs, and revenue creation. But to adequately seize the opportunity, manufacturers must design devices that are interconnected, can continually sense their environment and process huge amounts of data. As a first step, manufacturers must embrace a new product development ecosystem in order to support these products.
Jan. 31, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 813
Manufacturing connected IoT versions of traditional products requires more than multiple deep technology skills. It also requires a shift in mindset, to realize that connected, sensor-enabled “things” act more like services than what we usually think of as products. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks, discussed how when sensors start generating detailed real-world data about products and how they’re being used, smart manufacturers can use the dat...
Jan. 30, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 792
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT’s direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
Jan. 30, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,271