|By Marketwired .||
|July 22, 2014 09:04 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/22/14 --
- "Application Intelligence" - Significant Platform and Category Expansion Beyond Application Performance Management (APM)
- Company Continues Hyper-Growth Worldwide With Triple Digit Annual Growth
AppDynamics, the leader in Application Intelligence, today announced it has secured $120 million in growth financing led by new investors Battery Ventures, ClearBridge Investments and Sands Capital. All four existing investors Greylock Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and Institutional Venture Partners, also participated in the round. The $120 million includes $50 million in debt financing provided by Silicon Valley Bank.
The new financing brings the total capital raised by AppDynamics to over $200 million and will fund the company's continued expansion of its Application Intelligence Platform into the IT Operations and Business Analytics markets, and also accelerate go-to-market investments worldwide.
"Application Intelligence is rapidly becoming the foundational management platform for modern enterprises that are going through a digital transformation. It has the opportunity to reshape not only the $4 to $5 billion per year Application Performance Management market, but the broader $20 billion per year IT Operations Management(1) and $34 billion per year Operations and Business Analytics markets(2)," said Jyoti Bansal, founder and CEO at AppDynamics. "This additional financing is great validation of the market category, our strong execution in leading the category and above all the quality of the AppDynamics team across all functions. This financing will help fuel our continued rapid pace of technology innovation, and expansion of our worldwide sales and go-to-market execution."
"Given the massive, secular shifts in today's technology markets toward cloud, mobile and service-oriented apps, I think AppDynamics has a great opportunity to own the next generation of Operations and Application Management," said Neeraj Agrawal, a general partner at Battery Ventures. "I have known Jyoti for years, and during that time he has shown great vision and consistently exceeded his business goals. Battery is extremely excited to partner with AppDynamics."
AppDynamics Market and Vision:
- "Software is Eating the World": Modern enterprises are going through a huge digital transformation from Systems-of-Record to Systems-of-Engagement -- where software applications not only support the back-office of the enterprise, but are forming the core of customer engagement. Software applications are allowing enterprises to completely optimize their consumer interactions and innovate on consumer experience at a level never seen before.
- The architectural shift to Cloud, Mobile and DevOps: To enable this rapid digital transformation, technology architectures are going through a generational shift to Cloud Computing, Mobile and broad adoption of agile and DevOps operational practices. The older technology architectures and vendors supplying solutions for these architectures are rapidly becoming obsolete.
- Market shift away from legacy vendors: Legacy vendors in the $20 billion per year IT Operations Management space like CA Technologies, HP, BMC, Compuware have not been able to innovate as IT applications shift to a new architecture and enterprises go through their digital transformation. Newer companies such as AppDynamics are leading the charge and have emerged as rapidly growing category leaders.
- The emergence of a new category "Application Intelligence": The new approach to managing IT is "application-centric" instead of "infrastructure-centric." All aspects of the IT Operations Management market are being redefined by applications, user experience and the business transactions they support. AppDynamics is leading the emergence of the new market category "Application Intelligence" where the core mission is to provide an integrated platform for Developers, Operations and the Business to maximize business performance delivered by software application investments. This encompasses performance monitoring, user experience monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, deployment automation, automatic remediation, and operational analytics, combined with seamless business intelligence to tie IT with Business.
- Disruption in Go-to-market models: The legacy go-to-market model of complex, slow to configure and deploy software with heavy Professional Services requirements is no longer fit for purpose. The new enterprise consumers are demanding easy-to-use products, try-before-you-buy and pay-as-you-go. AppDynamics unique go-to-market strategy of providing hybrid SaaS/on-premise deployments, easy to deploy freemium offerings, and a land-and-expand sales model is aligned with the new buying patterns in the enterprise.
AppDynamics Execution Highlights:
- Rapid growth: AppDynamics is one of the fastest-growing technology companies worldwide. The company grew more than 175 percent in its fiscal year 2014, which concluded on January 31, 2014. It currently has over 1,300 customers and has doubled its customer base every year for the last three years. Customers include some of the largest banks, largest retail companies and the largest SaaS providers globally. In the last 18 months the number of employees grew from 200 to over 450 based in over 12 countries including the US, UK, France, Germany, India, Japan, Australia and Singapore.
- Market leader recognition: In Gartner Inc.'s latest "Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Management" report, AppDynamics has been positioned in the Leader's quadrant for the second year in a row. For a complimentary copy of the report, visit www.appdynamics.com/gartner.
- Exceptional Customer Success & Loyalty: The company's latest Net Promoter Score (a single measure of customer loyalty) is at a world class 85, demonstrating the long-term nature of our customer relationships. The company's NPS is among the highest in the enterprise software industry.
- Great Place to Work: AppDynamics is widely recognized for its innovative and employee-friendly culture. In 2013, Forbes recognized AppDynamics as the best Cloud Computing Company to work for, and it's CEO Jyoti Bansalas the number one Cloud Computing CEO to work for. In 2014, AppDynamics was recognized by Glassdoor as one of the Best Medium-Sized Companies to Work For in its Employee's Choice Awards. In May 2014, its CEO Jyoti Bansalwas recognized as Best CEO in San Francisco Business Times Tech & Innovation Awards and named a finalist in the prestigious EY Entrepreneur of the Year awards.
- Rapid Innovation: With its latest platform release in March 2014, the company's Application Intelligence Platform provides the broadest and deepest visibility and management of software applications leveraging JAVA, .Net, node.js, PHP, NoSQL, SQL, Native Mobile and browser-based apps, NetApp Storage, IBM DataPower, Tibco, MongoDB and through its open platform APIs over 100 critical enterprise technologies such as Microsoft Azure, AWS, Pivotal, F5 and Hadoop. AppDynamics, unique among its competitors, offers SaaS, on-premise and private cloud deployment alternatives to its customers. These are available in a fully self-service try-and-buy freemium 'free-forever' edition or commercial Pro Edition.
- Platform Expansion: In March, AppDynamics announced beta availability of its analytics solution, 'Application Analytics.' This builds on the company's already market-leading Operational Analytics and Real-Time Business Metrics solution. General availability of 'Application Analytics' is targeted for later in 2014.
At AppDynamics, our Application Intelligence Platform helps today's software-defined businesses proactively monitor, manage and optimize the most complex software environments. All in real time, and all in production. With cloud and on-premise deployment flexibility, AppDynamics works and partners with many of the world's most innovative companies. Customers include Citrix, Edmunds, Expedia, Fox News, John Deere, OpenTable, Salesforce.com, Sephora, StubHub and Union Pacific Railroad. AppDynamics premier event for today's software-defined business AppSphere 2014, takes place November 3-5 in Las Vegas. For more information, visit www.appdynamics.com.
(1) Gartner, Market Share Analysis: IT Operations Management Software, Worldwide, 2013, Laurie F. Wurster, Federico De Silva, John Rizzuto, Matthew Cheung, David M. Coyle and Ronni J. Colville, May 30, 2014
(2) IDC, Worldwide Business Analytics Software 2013-2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares (IDC #241689), Dan Vesset, Brian McDonough, David Schubmehl and Mary Wardley, June 2013
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robin Raymond, Chief Architect at Hookflash, will walk through the shifting landscape of traditional telephone and voice services ...
May. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,354
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems at Red Hat, described how to revolutioniz...
May. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,847
The world is at a tipping point where the technology, the device and global adoption are converging to such a point that we will see an explosion of a world where smartphone devices not only allow us to talk to each other, but allow for communication between everything – serving as a central hub from which we control our world – MediaTek is at the heart of both driving this and allowing the markets to drive this reality forward themselves. The next wave of consumer gadgets is here – smart, connected, and small. If your ambitions are big, so are ours. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jack Hu, D...
May. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 638
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, and physical persons. In the IoT vision, every new "thing" - sensor, actuator, data source, data con...
May. 28, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,202
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be
May. 28, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,080
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
May. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,698
SYS-CON Events announced today that MetraTech, now part of Ericsson, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society- a world leader in communications infrastructure, software and services. Some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic runs through networks Ericsson has supplied, serving more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
May. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,401
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participa...
May. 28, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 647
We’re entering a new era of computing technology that many are calling the Internet of Things (IoT). Machine to machine, machine to infrastructure, machine to environment, the Internet of Everything, the Internet of Intelligent Things, intelligent systems – call it what you want, but it’s happening, and its potential is huge. IoT is comprised of smart machines interacting and communicating with other machines, objects, environments and infrastructures. As a result, huge volumes of data are being generated, and that data is being processed into useful actions that can “command and control” thi...
May. 28, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 609
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
May. 28, 2015 11:08 AM EDT Reads: 485
There's Big Data, then there's really Big Data from the Internet of Things. IoT is evolving to include many data possibilities like new types of event, log and network data. The volumes are enormous, generating tens of billions of logs per day, which raise data challenges. Early IoT deployments are relying heavily on both the cloud and managed service providers to navigate these challenges. In her session at Big Data Expo®, Hannah Smalltree, Director at Treasure Data, discussed how IoT, Big Data and deployments are processing massive data volumes from wearables, utilities and other machines...
May. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,160
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists will peel away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you'll have no problem fil...
May. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,843
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
May. 28, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,480
The worldwide cellular network will be the backbone of the future IoT, and the telecom industry is clamoring to get on board as more than just a data pipe. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Evan McGee, CTO of Ring Plus, Inc., discussed what service operators can offer that would benefit IoT entrepreneurs, inventors, and consumers. Evan McGee is the CTO of RingPlus, a leading innovative U.S. MVNO and wireless enabler. His focus is on combining web technologies with traditional telecom to create a new breed of unified communication that is easily accessible to the general consumer. With over a de...
May. 28, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,736
Disruptive macro trends in technology are impacting and dramatically changing the "art of the possible" relative to supply chain management practices through the innovative use of IoT, cloud, machine learning and Big Data to enable connected ecosystems of engagement. Enterprise informatics can now move beyond point solutions that merely monitor the past and implement integrated enterprise fabrics that enable end-to-end supply chain visibility to improve customer service delivery and optimize supplier management. Learn about enterprise architecture strategies for designing connected systems tha...
May. 28, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,914
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
May. 28, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,367
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He discussed opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and technical point of vie...
May. 28, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,718
Grow your business with enterprise wearable apps using SAP Platforms and Google Glass. SAP and Google just launched the SAP and Google Glass Challenge, an opportunity for you to innovate and develop the best Enterprise Wearable App using SAP Platforms and Google Glass and gain valuable market exposure. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian McPhail, Senior Director of Business Development, ISVs & Digital Commerce at SAP, outlined the timeline of the SAP Google Glass Challenge and the opportunity for developers, start-ups, and companies of all sizes to engage with SAP today.
May. 28, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,018
Cultural, regulatory, environmental, political and economic (CREPE) conditions over the past decade are creating cross-industry solution spaces that require processes and technologies from both the Internet of Things (IoT), and Data Management and Analytics (DMA). These solution spaces are evolving into Sensor Analytics Ecosystems (SAE) that represent significant new opportunities for organizations of all types. Public Utilities throughout the world, providing electricity, natural gas and water, are pursuing SmartGrid initiatives that represent one of the more mature examples of SAE. We have s...
May. 27, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,029
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Kaplan, Managing Director of THINKstrategies, will examine why IT must finally fulfill its role in support of its SBUs or face a new round of...
May. 27, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,414